• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Whisker Biscuit

tedl

I have only been using one for about a year, but I have not noticed any effects on the arrows. I have been shooting the same ones all along andd they still fly straight and true. I wish I would have bought one sooner. They are awesome in the stand....

i have noticed that it doesn't harm feathers. however, it always wrinkled my plastic fletching, making arrows not quite as consistent, but a bit more noisy. for an extra 50 bucks i'd by the ripcord drop away. it has a containment arm to lock in an arrow so it won't fall out.

Exactly what Vister said.

I will add that drop away rests are much more forgiving and in my opinion, easier to tune. I had a Whisker Bisquit for over a year and replaced it with a drop away and will never go back. My next rest will be the one that Vister is refering too.

To me, accuracy is very important when it comes to consistently harvesting a deer rather than missing or wounding one. Have you ever seen a competition shooter using a Whisker Bisquit?

If you already bought the Whisker Bisquit, try the smaller and stiffer vanes, they might hold up better.

Nels

I would also agree w/ vister. I shot a whisker bisciut for 8 years, and i liked it, but for 6 of those years I practiced just enough to get my sights right, and then hunted, and there very nice in the stand. But i did find it to be hard on the vanes, the more I shot the more I had to add glue or re-fletch.( it is great to hunt w/). Then I bought a trophy taker drop away rest(to reduce my time fixin vanes), and as I began to shoot a LOT more I found after just a few arrows my groups shrunk big time...Basically its a good rest, but I would recommend to get a drop away right off the bat, spend just a little extra cash and you will be satisfied.

The biscuit is fine unless you shoot A LOT. You may have to get some refletching done if you shoot quite a bit. Not something I'd really worry about though. Safest most dummy proof rest out there. Number one selling rest of all time.

If you want a full containment drop away I'd look at the QAD lineup as they have a few features the ripchord doesn't. The ripchord is very good as well.

QAD is best IMO.

Its a fall away w/ total containment and no fletching contact.

Its like a Ripcord (over advertised...) but it doesn't drop during a slow letdown and scare the Booner like the Ripcord.

The $49.99 model has helped me shoot 6 deer in the last year from 80 to -14 degree temps. I don't know why someone would want to put up w/ the tuning issues and vane/feather damage for the identically priced WB when you can have contact free shooting from the QAD fall away...

Had a biscuit on my last bow. Guess it worked fine, but I like my drop-away 100 times better. Vanes will curl a bit after shooting, but I found that you put a hair dryer on high heat to them and they straighten right out. Never tried it but I thought I remember someone telling me to lube the biscuit with something or other(teflon type lube?). They get noisy on the draw after alot of shooting.

I like my biscuit. It doesn’t wrinkle blazer vanes. I will say that if you shoot quick spins the tail end of your arrow will cork screw noticeably. In my opinion if you get a biscuit shoot blazer vanes.

Hey Rot...did you check out your WB for correct alignment? I recall your pics showed it to be tipped forward a little. Maybe an optical illusion? I haven't tried any blazers yet, but I can see where they might not be affected by the WB as much as standard vanes. I agree the WB is handy for hunting so you absolutely don't have to worry about it falling off. I have a Trophy Ridge that I bought with my new Switchback 3 years ago. I have a small soft plastic clip that is adhered to the shelf in front of the rest. Never had too much problems with it coming out, but it is not as sure a thing as the WB. I may look into either a Ripcord or a QAD after this season. My ending advice to you is go with what you like, and what you are comfortable with. Nice buck in your avatar!

I ask the guy at my local pro shop he said he aligned it that way so it just barely touches the top because some carbons are skinnier. he said it improves groups because there is less room for the arrow to move around

I did. i had him drop my draw length a 1/2 an inch, just to try it, He thought it looked fine at 28". i havent made up my mind yet.

When i had it a 28" i could tuck my thumb knuck under my earlobe. so i had a consistant anchor point. i havent shot enough yet to say i like it or not. also he measured my axle to axle and it was off 1/2 an inch so he fixed that. i also adjusted my peep because my sight was cranked all the way down and i wanted it more in the middle(wind/elevation adjustment). I shot it a couple times at the range and i instantly noticed better groups. I tried that 45 degree grip and it helped a lot.

BINGO!! You're on your way now...set that bow up right first and then get your mechanics down pat. I anchor the small joint of my thumb right in behind the cheek bone against my ear lobe. Exact same spot everytime without thinking about it. How bout a kisser button? I can't shoot without one. Keeps my head at the same position. Consistent anchor points...it's the whole key IMO. After some repetition, your anchor points should/will be automatic. At 20 yards you'll be shooting at nickels instead of 3" bulls. Good luck w/ your season!

Havent got the kisser on there yet. tomorrow though im puting one on. i think i want to avoid a wrist strap though. i had one before and i felt it took too much time, and movement to get it on when a deer came. some of my stands i dont get to see the deer until there on me. Thanks again for your advise! its helped me out a ton!

I'd try a strap, just because it's a great sense of security allowing you to keep a torque free grip. You don't want it tight and actually you shouldn't feel it at all at full draw. I haven't ever had a problem slipping into it. Watching a bow drop from 20' would really hurt. I'm by no means an expert, but have gone thru the same exact process you are, and I can now consistently shoot 3" groups at 40-50 yards. 20 yards I'm hittin nickels. One thing I learned to do is that when I wasn't quite feeling the zone for some reason, I put the bow away. I didn't try to shoot myself out of it. I'd wait for an hour or two, or even the next day. Soon those sessions became less and less. It became old hat. Take a minute between shots. Be comfortable. Breathe deep. "Be the arrow". You'll do great.

I'm in the same boat as mrklean, a very practical and reliable rest for hunting but too noisy on the draw. I put a small piece of moleskin on the bottom of the biscuit where the arrow sits - small enough not to interfere with the feathers, although they compress rather than pass through the fibers anyways. Haven't spent enough time to tell if this will work. If not, I'm done with an otherwise good rest.

Rotwieler: I have never seen anyone tilt a whisker biscuit like that. It sounds like it works for you but I'm skeptical because your cock vane will hit the fibers after the other two vanes(I know only slightly). I've asked the rest of the guys in our shop about it and my boss, who has been setting up bows for almost twenty years, has never heard of or seen anyone else doing this. They make three different sizes to accomodate different sized arrows and the setup instructions call for a little room between the arrow and the fibers. Also with your arrow touching the rest at two different points(top and bottom) you will be losing some more speed. How are your arrows flying? Watch for tailwhip or corkscrewing. It's not set up properly according to the manufacturers instructions. I'd never send a customer out the door with it set up like that. I'm glad it's working for you though!

It could be a number of things. Arrow spine, torque, or your rest. That's the thing with archery- There are so many little things that could cause problems.

Anytime you have tailwhip you lose speed and energy at point of impact. For hunting not all of the energy is directly behind the broadhead when your arrow isn't flying properly so you lose energy, thus penetration.

A lot of times small adjustments of the rest will take care of your arrow flight problems. Assuming you have the right arrow setup. Check your centershot and nocking point as well.

A little tilt may be okay, but the persons setup we were talking about had top and bottom contact where the biscuit was tilted enough to touch the top of the arrow. That isn't right according to the manufacturer. I'm going by that and what I've seen and set up. I set up bows every day and have never seen that much tilt and am skeptical of that setup. It doesn't make sense.