• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I love my wife...

First a little background, then a question.

Just the other day I talked my wife into doing a little fishing with me and our son. We went on-line and got her a liscense and then went to a little pond behind our house. I never got a chance to fish because I was busy taking off the fish for the two of them. The little sunnies were going crazy! Everyone enjoyed the trip and now we go 2-3 times a week when I get home from work.

So, here's the "problem": I never get to fish any more! I'm always busy baiting their hook and taking the fish off that I never get a chance to do some catching of my own.

How can I convince my wife and 7 year old son that it's O.K. to touch a wax worm? How do I show them that the fish is not going to hurt them?

Don't get me wrong. I love the time I get to spend with my family but I want in on the action!

Any ideas?

I think you should teach them to do it the way you do it. Not too many grown up fishing people are wearing gloves these days. If they enjoy fishing, they'll come around to doing it themselves as long as you have self sufficient women in your life. If they however are not, and things are always done for them, resign yourself to a life of service. Now....I'd love it if I had someone bait my hook each time, it's just not done that way. If they are able....they should learn how to, and they'll probably enjoy the autonomy. They'll surprise you.

Like Teresa said. Best if they start to learn to do it themsleves. I was baiting hooks, taking fish off when I was 5. And even cleaning fish when I was 8, there is hope!

And if that fails, have them use a rag/washcloth or a cotton glove (washable - you get to reuse over and over!)

I know I am in the minority when it comes to gloves. I wear one on my left hand when removing hooks. I play an instrument, and am paranoid about hurting my left hand.

I use an orange Lindy glove, but they now have smaller yellow ones. It gives good grip while protecting the fish. It may build her confidence enough for her to be able to unhook her own fish.

The biggest thing is to be very encouraging. Let her get comfortable with holding the fish first, then show her proper hook removal. For some, they don't feel they know what they are doing, and are intimidated enough that they won't try it on their own.

Good luck!

Just do what I did with the gf. Tell them that if they want to keep fishing to put their own bait on and take their own fish off! Eventually they get bored of just sitting and watching you catch fish and will do it on their own.

When I started fishing with my husband, I was a REAL NEWBIE. I didn't know how to do ANYTHING. He was super patient though and very thorough when it came to teaching me how things are done. I got very sick of waiting for him to retie or put bait on so I just went ahead and did it. It was necessary for me to learn to do it all because how else was I supposed to outfish him? winklaugh

I teach my neices and nephews how to take the fish off using a towel. Have them hold the fish and show them how to unhook a few times. Then let them experiment. My neices and nephews get frustrated and hand the fish to me but I still show them how. Eventually they do it with out the towel and still hand me the tough ones. Just be very encouraging and understanding. Let them know that it is possiable.

Hope

I just love to take my wife and daughter out. It doesn't bother me that I don't get to fish when I'm out with them. I just love seeing their faces when they get a fish. Now if they wanted to fish three times a week, then I would want to teach them to bait themselvs and get the fish off. You just have to take it slow and make sure she is comfortable.

It was necessary for me to learn to do it all because how else was I supposed to outfish him? winklaugh

Carefull. I took my Mom fishing once, she outfished me. The moral of the story? I took my Mom fishing once. LOL, just kidding...