• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

English Pointers

Captnemo

Hello,

I bought an English Pointer Pup at the Game Fair over the weekend. I am struggling with what did I just do. I did not due my homework about the breed prior to doing this.

Can anyone give me information about the breed and what I should exspect going forward. Do they tend to hunt at a distance or can they be reigned in some? How are they in the house and with family?

Are there any pointing clubs around the metro? I am trying to find a mentor or someone to discuss future training.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

I did the same thing as you six years ago and could not be happier. As far as your range question, yes he will range out. Early on when we are hunting crp and the young birds are holding mine will range out 150 yds. As the season wheres on and the birds dont hold as well and we are hunting thicker cover he is no where near that distance at first I would have to whistle him in but now that we have been hunting together for 6 years he really brings it in closer on his own.

As far as with the family he is great. I have a newborn and a 3.5 yr old. He just avoids the newborn and he and the 3.5 yr old are good buds. When my son first started to crawl my pointer got face to face with him and growled. I immediatly showed him who the pack leader was and had my son crawling all over him and have not had any concerns since. He stays in the house when we are home and has a kennel run when we are at work.

The biggest thing is exercise. I take mine out and let him run the open field as much as i can. I also hook him up to my bike and run him if i need to quickly tired him out.If he does not get enough exercise he drives us all nuts. If i am watching tv he will sit in front of it and howl at me, if i am doing chores he will follow me around and everytime i stop moving he lays in front of me tail wagging until he gets out.

If you are going to train him yourself there is plenty of books or dvd's that will help guide you. There is plenty of guys here that having pointing breeds that can answer most of your questions, so i would say even if you think its a dumb question ask away. With mine all I really had to do is basic obediance and he did the rest on his own. The only thing I would change with him is his retrieving ability and when i get my next pointer that aspect of training will be done by a pro. congrats on the new pup. Thats why i quit going to game fair its to hard for me to walk out of there without a new pup. Adam

they are good dogs and since the dog is young you have a lot of chances to help groom him/her into the type of dog you want to hunt with. There are lots of methods to use and yes there are people and clubs you can get in contact with. There is a britt. club that trains at the horse and hunt club on Wednesday nights with birds and they are very helpful. You might want to go with the Dave Walker method for starters and get the pup into "puppy school" when the age is right. Total Recall is a good spot in Hugo.

The pointer will retrieve if you expose them properly. They will range as far as the cover requires. The main thing is that you want the dog to stand his birds when he finds them. If you have to walk 100 yards, fine as long as the bird is there when you arrive. They do a great job on grouse too. I have seen some that really like the water but then again it is in the approach and exposure in a positive environment that gets the dog to want to work with you.

Gather as much info on the parents as you can as that will help direct what type of dog you will end up with and where you might be watching for ways to imporve.

I work dogs pretty regularily and would guess others on FM will be more than happy to lend advise. Just post or e-mail.

[email protected]

Adam and Andrew,

Thanks for the information. I was on the fence about the breed for awhile. I have decided to give it a go and see what happens. I still have allot to learn about the breed and best training techniques.

If anyone has any info they feel would help, I am all ears.

Steve

I had a English pointer from Elhew kennels and all I can say is this dog had a nose like no other, would hold a point great and always honored anothers dogs point. As far as retriving, he was second to none.

I had him trained by a pro and never regretted it. One awesome breed of a hunting dog. He was trained to work close but he would range if you let him.

you could look at joining your local navhda chapter.

becoming a navhda member was a great learning experience for me and my 2 gsps'

i have learned alot and met alot of friends through navhda as well

I started in birddogs back in '74 & have had many experiances with pointing dogs. It was all I did for a hobby / side job for years. Trained on the prairies in the summer & was a very serious horse back trialer. I stared in NAVHDA and ended up running hoseback trials before leaving it all in a thump in '97. My best dog died, I had another (GSP) one get his FC/AFC and go home, & my dad was diagnosed as terminal w/ cncer and We spent as much time as was available w/ him. I still have a few GSPs around here & one old horse & trailer to remind me of the old days.

Pointers are wonderful dogs. I have had a bunch. I would not advise them 1st, I'd go GSP. Hunt him, shoot only birds that he points, and next spring start serius work. I do not like to have a young dog hunt w/ untrained hunters. So many people think that a pointing dog should stay with in gun range. They MUST point, and that means they can range out. There is nothing that can make the hair stand up on the back of your neck like FINDING your dog jacked up on point.

BTW ..Beepers are wonderful and PM me if you have questions.