• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Game Fair 2008

Write-Outdoor

Spent a lot of time at Game Fair this weekend and had a blast! There were some great deals to be had out there but it seemed like not too many people were buying. Did you go? What did you think? What deals did you get? Are you going the second weekend?

I have been going to Gamefair since the early to mid 90s. I went on Sat with my little girl and we had fun watching the dogs. Not much has changed and the deals are the same every year. It has really turned into a waterfowl show more than anything. I was interested in some big game stuff and there was very little of that out there, which I knew would be the case. From the people I talked to, it was really slow. I think it is getting a mite stale and needs to change up some stuff.

I have to say that it was very well put together this year...everything from the dog demos to tom knapp(which was incredible), he is a very personable guy...talked with him for a while. I saw numerous breeds of dogs running the tests and thought it was great. considering going back the second weekend

It sounds like you didn't spend a lot of time actually looking at and stopping at the many booths that are there. Having had a booth there for a few years, we watch people walk up and down the aisles looking straight ahead, not even seeing what is offered at the booths. There are different shooting preserves, kennels and anything you can think of that are there. Yes, there are politicians, but at least they are finally realizing that the sportspeople are also voters! We got to give Coleman an earful until his handlers hustled him away!! As for outfitters, if you are talking big game,or even waterfowl in Canada it is too late in the year for them to worry about 2008. Their hunts are already booked for the season and they are leaving for their camps at this time of year.

I agree with the post that they need to add some new things to try and attract new people and to keep the faithful coming. They just havn't figured out what that draw might be. They have tried a confirmation dog show one year, had agility competitions last year. Maybe people on this site have ideas. I'd would be willing to pass them along. Just post them.

yeah, I know it sounds like whining but for some reason it just didn't get my attention..too much retail.."sign up to win a gas card and get junk mail"..etc. I didn't see much in the way of clubs or I don't know..just something diffrent. I'll have to give some thought to some diffrent things they could try..I've been a client of Erics at Armstrong for quite a few years bird doggies so maybe I'll mention it to him.

Quote:
tom knapp(which was incredible)

I know Tom some what personally. He can also be quite the card grin.

I watched the ‘Shootiest’ the other night and thought of Tom the whole way threw.

If you ever can, get one of his business cards. You know what I mean when you get it.

I did not go to the game fair this year because of other things. I also have been going since about 90 or so. The sack of free dog food samples used to be great grin.

Game Fair does need to change it up a bit. A agree about the comment on paying to go to an outside sale for Gander, Cabela's, ect. I like having those retailer at GF but not as main attractions. I don't understand the lack of large duck boats. I assume that take up to much real estate ($$$).

Harvey the sign on the out side of G.F reads "Dogs and Guns Welcome" you don't see that posted very often. They have a trap set up to shoot and I did hear one pro giving someone advice. That right there paid for his admission. oh p.s. I did get some free treats, dog food and saved a bunch on a new dog bed and pick-up hammock type dog bed.

If anything, I have been going the last couple years for my kids. They love it, just as I did when I was teenager. I grew up about a mile and half away from the Game Fair and went many years.

Quote:
Is there much for guns,archery and hunting?

Yes and bring your guns and dogs. I also think they have archery shooting as well. I know they do for the kids.

I know it is a money trap of sorts, but one of the only of its kind. I will add, deals have been known to be found and they do bargain on price, just ask for the manager. I have never paid what the sticker says and if the do not come down; go to the next tent that has it. The vendors are there to move items and this is where I patented my idea of going on the last Sunday to get a deal. It works here.

Think of it as big county fair and then think of that fair only being about hunting, fishing and outdoors. The smells, sounds and displays are what makes life worth living and there are memories to be had.

Got to go!

Harvey lee,

They do have a HSOforum you can go to see what goes on there. They do have archery, gun events for adults too.

I am thinking of going this Friday to have the new pup dock jump, and so she can get some exposure to socalize around other dogs besides my eldest dog and the normal visiting my friends dogs.

Lot's of fun especially for some one that hasen't been there before.

Shack, I am a bit disapointed that when my buddy first told me about the game fair many years ago that it wasn't his idea to go on the last day for the deals. shocked I will be sure to tell him that knowledge is patented and that he needs to quit telling people that. grin

P.S. don't ask me his name, because won't tell you, I don't want him to get into trouble. grin

"hooks"

I should have said patented it in “my” head grin.

I have had many friends over the years work at the GF and even at Armstrong Kennels and I know one of them told me about this. After I would go with Grandpa, Parents or Aunt and Uncle, found something I liked, went home and gathered as much money together I could, wait until Sunday, bike ride it over the back way and put the puppy dog eyes on and say yes Sir.. Did not always get what I wanted, but it did work most times. winkgrin.

Since then, I have applied this theory to other sportsman’s shows for hunting and fishing and found it works, but it all started for me at the Game Fair.

A little update for this year.

A friend of mine who went first hand to the GF to buy a new bow and accessories, found not much at all. He said only one booth catered to archery and it was all close out type stuff. He went with a lot of money and left with no purchase.

This is not what I have found other years past.

I figured since Harvey Lee asked about archery, the report was justifiable.

Good luck to all who go this weekend. Should be a great weekend to go.

i have gone to game fair the last five or so but this year not going to make it got alot of thing going on this year. i went to the scheels waterfowl it sucked thought there would be better deals there beside d.c. being there that was the good. all i got to say is aim straight and knock um down

I went on friday but didn't get to spend too much time or money there. For a first timer, it is quite the spectacle. I will disagree with the comments that it has become a waterfowl affair. There was quite a bit of upland info and plenty to shop around at. Mostly game farms, with few outfitters as some have said.

There was very little out there for archery or big game in general besides some clothing for sale.

I went on Friday as well. Took the little pup with and had her jump off the dock a couple of times. She actually did it, but not before stopping at the end of the dock first. I could almost see what she was thinking "Ahhh, this dock is a little higher up off the water than what I am used to".

We had a pretty good time.

"hooks"