Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tom_w

Full moon walleyes

23 posts in this topic

I am not much of a walleye fisherman but I have been catching more this year than ever before. I am planning on fishing this Saturday night in the full moon. I have heard that they may go shallower in the moonlight. I was thinking of throwing shallow running crankbaits (and deeper ones on the weedlines) and perhaps using some shiners.

Any tips? This is my first moonlight walleye foray...

Tom- are you hitting the same lake we fished a couple weeks ago? If so, I might have a few spots for you to check out. I've been getting a few here and there. Email me... I don't want to give it away here. benandhisbeard at hotmail.

Going shallow at night is always a good idea, regardless of moon phase or cloud cover. Crankbaits on the deep weed edge, over the tops of the weeds, and along the inside weed edge are all good bets.

If the water on the lake you're fishing is somewhat clear the bait with reflective/light color sides general excell. These are often refered to lures that provide flash.

Don't be afraid of the inside weededge at night.

Good Luck!

Borch's golden rule ....... When In Doubt Use Rainbow Trout grin

It ain't been a bad thing. wink

I've started painting my own as it's been a tough pattern to find lately. Although I did score some husky jerk-baits in rainbow on ebay this winter.

I've got lots of colors I like. Just look at my two 128 spot crank boxes. laugh

Borch,

Can you send me info on your crank bait box again. grin

Thanks

Sure can.

After getting the YarCraft out a few times, it's time to "fine tune" with interior accessories. I'll e-mail photos to you just in case you didn't see it in the "lets see rigs for 2008 post.

It took awhile to find it, but it was worth the wait. grin

What's the Crank Bait box? Something you installed in your boat to hold cranks? I'd love to see something like that.

No. Just a nice hanging crank system that's out there.

It's a box Borch has that holds a ton of cranks. I saw this in his boat last Fall at Appeldoorn's Fall Frenzy!!!!

Can I list my e-mail or cell # for you to get ahold of me ???

I just counted my cranks and I could fill out all of one of those 128 spot crank boxes, and right now I'm filling up 4 boxes and with more cranks on a pending order, I'd like some info on;

A. These 128 slot crank boxes or....

B. Help on how to stop buying more cranks....

To answer your question, look shallow, especially for fish busting bait near the surface

I'll post more info on these boxes later this am. As far as o help on not buying anymore cranks.

Tell the mfg's to quit making new models and colors grin

Here's some general info on these boxes. There is one that holds 8" cranks. One box holds 128 cranks.

They make a box that holds 5" cranks, and one box holds 225 cranks.

Sign me up for one or two of those boxes. can't wait for the info.

Sandmannd also,

Here's about all I can say on those boxes without going against forum policy.

they are available through franks great outdoors.

Special Mate 5"

Special mate 8".

Hope this helps.

They are very nice!!!

hope this helps

Rodmaker, I checked out these boxes on the net, the majority of my cranks are much smaller than 5" but I do have a few Deep Taildancers that are a touch over, they are #9's, just wondering if there is any wiggle room in this box that they would fit.

B&B Bait Box makes a great hanging crank bait box. I have one and need another. I believe I'm using model #967 which holds all my Deep lil Rippers and other deep diving cranks or stick baits. Deep Divers will fit in there too but they fit snug (too long to hang) which is fine.

They have a shallower box for smaller cranks too, but I prefer to just use Plano boxes for Shad Raps, Flicker Shads, etc.

And to put this thread back on track the full moon is this Saturday.

They are Special Mate crankbait boxes. I like the compartment version. Personally I have a short one for shad baits and a medium one for stickbaits up to 7". They do stack on each other and come in different colors so you can tell you box from your fishing buddy's box. wink

I've tipped these upside down and only had a few baits tangle out of 132 in had in there(yes, you fit a few extras in). No hook rusting issues either.

It's a system that works well for me. The B&B Boxes are also very popular and do a nice job.