• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bitten by a cat, anyone have any advice

Mr. B

Not sure if this is the right place for this but, a lot of you sporting dog owners have cats so maybe you can help me out.

Saturday night I was bitten by a friends house cat. I tried to nudge to cat off of the couch and found out that the couch is the cat's spot and he was not willing to give it up without a fight. Half a dozen scratches and two puncture wounds later I got the couch.

I did not really think about it too much until I felt the blood on my hand. Cleaned up the two small wounds and went on with the evening. As the evening went on my hand swelled up and got very tender. By this morning it was red and looked like a bicycle pump had been attached to it. By this afternoon it had not improved and when I touched it wonderful ooze appeared. It has now been roughly 36 hours it has not improved at all.

Do I give in to the wife's advice and head into get it looked at tomorrow, which is going to include the "I told you speech" or give it a few more days to improve?

Now as for the cat I wanted to drop it in the hot tub and close the cover, but thought better of that. The cat and I have agreed to have round two at a later date, with a ref. and a first-aid kit as witnesses.

A cats mouth has alot of bacteria. My father startled his cat when it was looking outside at a rabbit. The cat scratched and bit my father.

Two weeks later he was in the hospital with an infection on his spine. The doctor said it could of been from the cat.

Get it checked and get on antibiotics.

After waking up and my hand had not improved much (maybe some my fingers work better today). I went in and the doctor took one look at it and put me on Augmenton (spelling) for ten days.

Dr. told me that 80% of cat bites get infected some bacteria that lives in their mouth, In comparison only 15% to 20% of dog bites get infected.

Buddy Lee (cat)is going to have a run in with Maggie the wonder lab. The onyl chance Buddy Lee has is if he does not run. If he runs Maggie will tear him apart and thank me for the fun. Now I just have to figure out how to make this happen.

Thanks for the advice

My then sister-in-laws cat got stuck in my ventalation system (long story) and in the process of getting it out I got bit several times. My hand swelled up like a softball and I could not bend my fingers. 20 days of antibiotics, and a 5 days with a tube draining the infectoin before it was back to normal. I still have the scars.

I hate cats.....

Cat bites require hospital visits. The sooner the better. Dont wait.

Ohhhhh *cringes* I'm allergic to cats and when the cat scratches me, I get welts and start itching inside my chest....Never had cat bite me....Wow...I will be extra cautious around cats now. :-) I do have friends who have cats! *sigh*

Yeah, its good you went to the doc. I had a friend of mine get bit last summer by his own cat and didn't go to the doc till it got so bad that he ended up in the hospital for a couple of days.

Moral: Don't screw around with cat bites

I think this is a great place to start the Cat vs. Dog subject.

Aside from the human, what is at the top of the food chain? Hmmm....must be some reason why.

Cats don't drool nor do they drag their rear end across the carpet. THAT IS DISGUSTING.

Cats generally don't hump legs.

I can go on and on but lets get it going first.