• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wireless Internet hook up info

MuleShack

Question

I've got DSL on my computer up in the office and wanted to try to do some wireless set up to hook up to my DirectTv Dvr player and the Xbox system to do the video on demade download and game online.

The issue was that i have the DSL box upstairs and didn't want to run a hard wire thru the finished house back down.

So I went to BB on saturday and explained what i wanted to do and the guy said it's easy....(right there i figured i was in trouble)

He told me to get a wireless router (linksys) its black with some blue lights and 4 ports in back. Then he tells me i need these 2 USB wireless ports (G4 linksys). So i take them home and put the disk in and install the router and after about an hour i get it to recognize the router.

Then i put the disk in to try to hook up the wireless port and 2 hours later i though i had that communicating. So i take it down stairs and plug it into the DVR player and it says there is no communication with the ethernet. (why do they have USB plugs in the back if they wont use them to communicate?)

Then i plug it into the Xbox360 and it also doesn't seem to work. are those USB wireless things only for hooking up regular computers on the home network?

What would i need to get the DVR and the Xbox360 to feed wirelessly to the router?

If these things are suppose to work, what am i doing wrong? When i was programming them on the PC, the light would blink on the wireless, but the light never comes on when plugged in to the accesories.

Other question here is that for firewall and antivirus i am using Zone Alarm free version for firewall and ESET NOD32 antivirus. WHen i was installing the router, it tried to tell me that i needed to install trend micro firewall and antivirus and wanted to delete my 2 programs. I told it no, but is it neccesary to have the trend for it to work properly?

16 answers to this question

I am almost positive that the USB on the DVR (direct) is there for looks! I had thought about doing something similar and did some checking only to find that the USB port is there for potential future use. Fortunately the only thing I had invested in was a usb cable. I would have to crack the case and do some mods to get it to work.

I agree with Jer, the usb on the DVR does squat!!. Don't know who your provider is but you can call them and see what you need to do. I don't have an XBox, but I believe you need to buy their product to connect to the network. Your router should be fine, but the two usb cards you bought are useless for what you want to do. If the lights don't turn on at all when plugged in the units you want to use then they aren't even getting power. Call the vender of each machine and find out what you need to use.

Yes, you do indeed need the XBox wireless adapter (proprietary).

The USB port on the DVR is most likely for backing up programming onto an external harddrive.

You will still need a wireless router to connect the XBox, but the USB adatpters are only good for conecting a PC/Laptop to the network.

Internet -> DSL Modem -> Wireless Router -> Computer/X360/etc

The wireless router has to stay connected to your DSL modem. Which is connected to the internet. Sometimes with router has a built in modem. In order to get your device (computer, X360, other) you need to get it to talk to the wireless router, either by wireless or ethernet cable. The X360 requires it's own wireless adapter or you can use an ethernet cable to get it to talk to the wireless router. Same goes for the DVR. Your computer most likely has a wireless communicator built in.

I've often run into similar issue with software bundled with equipment. In my experience the recommended software was not required to make the equipment work.

I did a little digging and found this: Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter WGA600N for $90 bucks. It says it works with xbox, xbox360, psp2 & 3 and game cube...up to 85 mbps.

I just cant tell if there is 2 ports in the back to double up with the DVR or only 1. I could just use the same plug between the 2 units.

It is recommended (compatible)for the N series router that i have and suppose to be on the direcTv supported hardware list also. another feature is that you only have to set the IP and subnet to the generic and it is set up, no drivers to down load or anything.

if anyone wants to check it out on their own, lots of good reading in the article. google dbstalk and search for router/bridge network set up.

They offer Video on demand so we thought we'd check it out. They make it sound like you can choose tons of content to download and watch at any time, so we thought if it was good it would be worth it in the mean time.

also i'm not 100 % sure, but you are able to move content from the DVR to the PC?

I went back to BB tonight and returned the 2 USB ports and told them that i wanted the item described above and then i told him what the idea was and he said that shoudl do the trick. I just got one of them and i can move the cord between the Xbox and the DVR player to save some $$. I wont have time to test it until Wed or Thursday but i'll let you know how it goes.

Linksys Dual-Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter WGA600N for $90 bucks. It says it works with xbox, xbox360, psp2 & 3 and game cube...up to 85 mbps.

It is recommended (compatible)for the N series router that i have and suppose to be on the direcTv supported hardware list also.

I got around to hooking this device up tonight before I had to leave for work again. It is very simple, connect to your network router hard wired to install software, then remove and hook to device. After i plugged it in the DVR i went back up and the network recognized it and i went down to test it with the system test and the DVR recognized the network and said it was connected to the internet. Probably took about 25 minutes total.

I haven't tested it with the Xbox 360 yet mainly because i dont have a subscription for the "Live" yet. I'll try to hook it up this weekend just to see if it will recognize the network and connections like advertised.

You can stream HDTV content to your computer.

ChemE,

do you have to have special software to do this?

Now that i have it hooked up, i can download the Video on demand from the DTV receiver, but i didn't see anything on my computer that recognized the DTV receiver as another drive location...just in the router software.

any info on this process would be appreciated.

Depending on what satellite provider you have, you may have to go under your settings on the DVR to actually initialize your internet connection. I discovered this the other night hooking up mine. You also get a discount for having your receiver plugged in to the internet or a phone line again depending on what company you are dealing with. Make sure you call and get that! I believe the internet set up was under the system setup-installation-broadband connection.

There are some interesting reviews on the unit you bought at the big internet retailer named after the big river in brazil. The most popular review gives a nice procedure. Start there then surf.