• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

West Metro Lakes

bassNspear

Hey All,

Just looking for some information. There is alot of great lakes in our area. Just wondering what you all think are the best lakes out there this summer so far that are clear and are great pike lakes. I have had some great pike bites over the summer when im out bass fishing, but just want to get some information from you guys.

Thanks for the help.

Steiger is one of the best pike lakes in the entire metro area. I don't target pike often but I had my best open water pike day on Steiger a few years ago. Casting large crank baits I caught 13 pike in about three hours. Everyone of them was bigger than 29 inches and I had 6 fish that went between 35 and 40 inches. It was truly an amazing afternoon. The weird thing is that it was mid July, 92 degrees, and no wind. I two lrgw pike get caught by guys fishing on the fishing pier and at least a half dozen other nice pike get caught but two guys in a boat using bobbers & sucker minnows.

The complete catch and release regulations are working on that lake.

Good thing you mentioned it, Ann has a 24-36" slot on it with only one over that in possesion. It is also C&R bass. Minnewashta is also C&R bass. Steiger is C&R bass and northerns. Those are the only lakes in carver county that have special regs on Northern and bass if i can remember right.

What is the motor restriction on Steiger? I remember one of my dads friends taking us out there once and i thought he said that it was electric only. But i also heard that gas motors are fine as long as your under 10 MPH. We fished with bobbers and suckers and caught just a ton of northerns and bass.

Steiger can be hit or miss, some days they are biting like nuts, others its hard get anything. I know there are some nice ones in there but just about all the pike I have caught there have been under 5lbs. The catch and release regs helps, but I head elsewhere if I am in seach of "big" pike.