• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2004 GMC Sierra Steering Noise.

I have a 2004 GMC Sierra. When I am moving slowly or not at all and I turn the steering wheel in any direction there is a moan or a whine or a hum (which ever you would want to call it) and I can feel the moan/whine/hum through the steering wheel. One suggestion I had was to crank the wheel all the way and hold it there for a while because there may be air in the lines. I did that and it didn't remedy the problem. Fluid level is good. I can't see any leaks. It has 80K+ miles. I had some warranty work done at about 30K and the shop said it was a "steering lube kit" (that is what the repair order lists it as too)

Any ideas/suggestions? (And to save the peanut gallery time I know, I know, I know... Get a Toyota, Ford, Dodge, AMC Gremlin, Old bike with a bannana seat, Flintstone Car, unicycle, etc... grinlaughgrinlaugh )

Thanks for any help!

Did this just start or has it been around for awhile?

Have you flushed the power steering system? If you have no warranty left, this might be a possible cure for cheap.

Most systems I know of, turning steering wheel lock to lock will help bleed out air as well as normal driving.

Your first question jogged my memory for something I should have included in my initial post. It has been going on for about three or four months but it started out with just a little/quick moan/whine/hum and didn't last the entire time I was turning the wheel. It has progressively gotten worse. Now it is making the noise the entire time I am turning the steering wheel.

I have not flushed the steering system. Is flushing the steering system pretty much self-explanitory or is there anything special to do? Has the topic of flushing the steering system been posted on the forum(that you may know of)? Or could I google it?

Thanks a lot for that instantaneous response shack. You fellas in the automotive form are good.

Since you haven't had the need to constantly top off your p/s fluid its a typical sign that you need your power steering pump replace. Also it is very common around this point of mileage to get the ps pump replaced.

More then likely its your power steering pump going bad. Bearings are getting worn, or pump shaft seals is going bad. The vibrations flow to the rotary valve then to your steering column. I'm about 75% sure that this is the cause just by listening to the symptoms. The irritable whining is usually a clear giveaway that the power steering pump needs to be replaced.

Shouldn't be more then 100 bucks to get a replacement at an auto store. There will be a core charge so you will recieve money back when you return your old pump. I would suggest buying new service belts since your down there ;-)

Not to make anything more confusing but if you feel a "clunk" type feel while turning your wheels at low speeds. There has been at GM tech bulletin that applies to this issue and your type of vechile. Which i'm sure the dude at the shop was referring about. I really don't believe this is "your" issue. You can check out some more info here.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]

Casey, A flush is not a bad start. You can do it yourself but be warned you are going to make a huge mess!!

Try adding an ounce of seafoam motor tune to the power steering. If it improves than definitely flush and then add another ounce of seafoam. We have had tremendous success flushing power steering systems to resolve complaints.

To start a flush would be a good idea, even if you end up replacing the p/s pump afterwards, atleast you will be running the new pump with a clean system. More then likely the pump is going bad, but I would flush it first!

To flush the p/s system suck out all fluid in the resevoir of the pump, remove the return hose to the pump and temperarly adapt a longer hose to it and place it in a bucket. Plug the port that the hose came off of on the pump. Have about 3 qts new fluid , fill the pump back up, have someone start the truck, and keep pouring the fluid in, as it will shoot out into the bucket at a good rate! Try not to let the system go dry, flush until fluid is clean. Have the other person shut the truck off, then remove the hose and reinstall, refill and try it! Good luck!