• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rain Gear

WTN4ICE

Going to spend a week in Canada with friends for the first time.They advise bringing rain gear..Any suggestions for something middle of the road dollar wise.I looked at something called Frog Togs that looked interesting..different type of fabric.Any advise is appreciated.

I got a set of Fenwicks off of craig's list for a hundy and love them. Get bigs and a jacket. Don't get the pants. You can still get wet with the pants, but with bibs, you stay a lot dryer.
And with bibs they stay on and I dont get the plumbers butt when I bend over laugh

Ganders H2O is a good suite. Cabelas Guide series is probably the best. No matter what anyone says stay away from Frog Togs. Even the better ones they make still dont stand up. Thats only my oipinion of course.

All my guides and myself all have cabelas guidewear, I think its the best stuff going. You also will be paying a good price for it, but it lasts.

That being said, alot of my guests this year have been coming up with frog toggs. It's a strange material, but they seem happy with it and they are staying dry. I don't know about the price, but it seems relativly inexpensive.

If you get any of Cabela's or Gander's rain suits you won't be dissapointed.

I have Gander's H2O and I have used it all year. I ware layers with a fleece jacket just underneath the jacket and have been warm and dry lake trout fishing in January.

If you can get to a Gander check out the clearance racks. My wife and I went into Gander the day after Christmas three years ago and got some smokin' deals on jackets. We found jackets that were normally $130 marked down to $69.95 and then on a put on a 60% of sale price rack. Essentially we bought the jackets for $100 off.

Another option would be to go into a Cabela's and hit the Bargin Cave. If you don't mind buying something some one may have worn once and decided they didn't like it you can get some sweet deals there too.

I have used the Gander suites for the last few years. Havent had any issues with them except for the first time I got the bibs a size too small and ripped the seat open after a few times wearing them, my bad. Be sure to try them on over what you would be wearing when you are using them, not gym shorts. Pants take up more room i found out, especially a couple pairs of them. smile

Here's my two cents worth. I've spent a week up in Canada with the entire week being nothing but rain and wind. A couple of the guys that came along had cheap rain gear and I can tell you it was not a pretty site. Their days fishing days became shorter and shorter because they were so miserable.

Buy the best rain gear you can afford, period. If you do, guaranteed you’ll probably enjoy your trip more. Besides the comfort, it will last for a long time.

I was at Cabella’s on Saturday and they had their Guideseries Rain Jacket (Red/Black only) on sale for a hundred bucks. The bib will cost you another hundred plus but then you’re set for life……

Here's my two cents worth. I've spent a week up in Canada with the entire week being nothing but rain and wind. A couple of the guys that came along had cheap rain gear and I can tell you it was not a pretty site. Their days fishing days became shorter and shorter because they were so miserable.

Buy the best rain gear you can afford, period. If you do, guaranteed you’ll probably enjoy your trip more. Besides the comfort, it will last for a long time.

I was at Cabella’s on Saturday and they had their Guideseries Rain Jacket (Red/Black only) on sale for a hundred bucks. The bib will cost you another hundred plus but then you’re set for life……

[/quote

Eagle is right on with this advice. On vacation and we ended up at a nice place near Stemboat Springs CO. I blanched at the $400 rain jackets (wow they were even 40% off) It was only for two days and so I scored a $20 frog toggs from a local shop. I really don't think you'd like it for any length of time. No pockets, sort of clammy if you moved around a bit. I would give them the thumbs down. Get a light weight rig - jacket and pants - and you can add a sweatshirt or whatever and be good to go.