• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What size motor to pull a tube?

StrangeBrew

Just wondering if anyone has pulled a tube with a 50 HP motor on a 16 ft fishing boat before. If so, did you have enough power to make the ride fun for the tuber? What size tube did you pull?

I have always used my uncle’s ski boat for tubing but I was wondering if my 16 ft with a 50 hp Yamaha will do the tick for my kids.

Thank you

Yep, more than enough power. Though the boat might be a little light and the tube may pull the stern side to side if ya do the whip. I think you will be fine.

I had 50hp on a 17ft alumicraft did just fine was strong enough to pull skiers.

Have fun!

Funny to see this post after today. We were on Turtle Lake this afternoon and saw a 14' boat with an old 15hp on it. In the boat were two adults and they were pulling around a bigger guy.

The guy on the tube was bouncing and rocking around trying to get some kind of excitement out of the deal. The motor was screaming, but they weren't going any faster than a canoe.

I think you would be fine pulling them with your boat. Why not give it a try?

Funny to see this post after today. We were on Turtle Lake this afternoon and saw a 14' boat with an old 15hp on it. In the boat were two adults and they were pulling around a bigger guy.

The guy on the tube was bouncing and rocking around trying to get some kind of excitement out of the deal. The motor was screaming, but they weren't going any faster than a canoe.

I think you would be fine pulling them with your boat. Why not give it a try?

dang you mean i cant do any tubing on my boat. shoot.

I have a 16' fishing boat with a new 50hp Yamaha 2 stroke. I takes some time to get the tube on plain and after that as long as you make wide corners you are ok. Making sharp turns will overpower what the motor will do. I just don't think the lower unit is built for that type of use. I can load the boat down with 4 adults and gear and get out of the hole no problem. Just does not have the pulling power. I also have a stainless power prop. Because the OEm prop would die taking corners.

198- Mr. Pike Lund with 50hp Evinrude, also 198-, way more then plenty, and I have pulled 2 tubes, barely, but one it did just fine with 3 people in the boat.

I have the same boat except a 50hp Merc. Pulled many many tubers, skiers, and even wake boarders. Sure its a bit of a stretch for skiers but it's worked fine. I can't get up behind the boat anymore since my figure has filled out quite some, but any kids or young adults are still ok.

Don't worry, make the kids happy.

I agree with others. I have a 16.5' boat and a 60 HP motor. I can pull an adult male on a tube with 2 of us in the boat. We are on plane pretty quickly and usually run about 1/2 throttle once on plane. Same works for my wife and one kid on the tube or 2 kids on the tube with 2 of us in the boat.

Just for reference, I have a 15.5 glass boat with a 100 hp motor. I can pull my kids, both over 100 lbs., in regular tubes and barely notice them behind. When I pull the pancake-types, I really feel the drag.

My sisters and I learned how to waterski behind a 14 foot Alumacraft powered by a 9 1/2 hp Johnson. Granted, we were little nippers, but it worked.

I still pull my teens behind the 16 foot Lund/25 hp Johnson outfit. It works, and I can "crack the whip" with a small tube if the kid plays things right. It can also pull them on the wakeboard and waterskis.

Back in the late 70's and early 80's, a couple of acquaintances of mine used to waterski regularly on Basswood behind a 25 horse as they did their rounds of the tent camps.

Had a 16' Mr Pike with a Merc 50 hp and pulled a tube with 2 kids in it while we were on vacation a few years ago - maybe a total of 30-45 mins/day for a week. Thought all was fine until I got back and on the first fishing trip I took afterwards (on Tonka out near Big Island from Gray's Bay) the crankshaft broke. Coincidence? No way to tell....