• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Open Face

bassNspear

Jason- I said I would take you out.. just let me know when you have time... I fished with the owner of Thorne Brother today.. We crushed em.' I did however take his signed dollar bill and added it to my collection... Took one from Ray Esboldt the day before.. It was a good weekend to be Deitz.. LOL

But, on a serious note, all major retailers should have the new spinning reels now. New Symetry and Sahara... but the Stradics I think are the bomb for the price.

I'm Shimano biased, so, I'll say get a Shimano reel...Since this is in the Bass thread, I'd probably say a Diawa Steez - just becuase they made that spinning reel pretty much for just bass fishing. Then again if you get a Stella - you'll be married for life - I mean set for life. LOL's

Probably look at the 2500 - 3000 size.

I would suggest the Sahara for being a GREAT price! The stradics are a bit higher in the food chain but they're worth every penny! I think they're very close to the sustain in performance. I also suggest you try out the Team Daiwa Sol. VERY VERY great real for the price! Smooth as hot butter! Don't make the common mistake of thinking the more bearings the better.....quality bearings will make a reel 10x better! Shimano or Daiwa are great reels. I have both brand and love them both! Shimano has been my all time fav...but recently..daiwa has grown on me. Nothing from them has given me a sour taste. Stick with the two and you'll be alright!

quantum PT series has some really nice features, I like the titanium bail it will never fail or bend. The kenitic has the same feature just heavier and less BB's good luck shoppin and I hope you find what your looking for

I have Stradics and love them. Had some handle issues but Shimano took care of that. I have a spare lined up just incase. I saw that the new stradics are 100 more than they used to be. What the.... seems a bit excessive - the ones I have are the off white with gold trim. They were $120 2 years ago.

Actually the new Stradics start at $159. The new Shimano Saros ($129)is now at the similar price point as the old Stradics. From what I understand the Saros is an "upgrade" from the old Stradics. I own both the old Stradic and Saros and prefer the Saros. Recommend the 3000, has a redesigned handle that I like much better than what comes on the 2500 size.

Thanks NCLaker - I haven't shopped for any reels this year. Redesigened handle you say. Hmm, I'll have to check them out.

I have the old Stradic 2500 and 4000. Both had handle issues on the same day of course. But have been sweet since.

I do like Quantum's though.

Get the best you can afford - that's my suggestion. Nothing wrong with having good reliable gear, cept the hole in my wallet. LOL

I like the Pflueger Presidents, so far no longevity issues, but maybe I just haven't used them long enough. From what I understand Pflueger makes the GM Guide Series as well. GM puts their name on it, lowers the price by the volume they purchase, and makes a few subtle changes. Like the reel handle knob and such.

I have Stradics and love them. Had some handle issues but Shimano took care of that. I have a spare lined up just incase. I saw that the new stradics are 100 more than they used to be. What the.... seems a bit excessive - the ones I have are the off white with gold trim. They were $120 2 years ago.

Prabably saw the magnesium one. The magnesium frame one is pretty steep in price. The handle arm on that one is more like the Stella's handle arm in design.

Actually the new Stradics start at $159. The new Shimano Saros ($129)is now at the similar price point as the old Stradics. From what I understand the Saros is an "upgrade" from the old Stradics. I own both the old Stradic and Saros and prefer the Saros. Recommend the 3000, has a redesigned handle that I like much better than what comes on the 2500 size.

The Saros is more of an highly upgraded Symetre and crossed with some high end features. It uses a round gear to drive the spool oscillation. The Stradics have been using a worm gear to drive the spool oscillations. That's pretty much what separates the two.

If you like the Pflueger president and want to upgrade, definitly worth looking at the Supreme. I think it is around 2 oz lighter (magnesium) and nicer handle design. Good price point at less than $100.

I have it on my vertical jigging rod and love the light weight for walleye fishing.

I have historically been a Shimano guy and like the stradic and sahara for most of my open face fishing needs. I added a few ultra light pfluggers to my panfish poles and really like the performance. This lead me to try the pflugger president and I must say I am very very impressed with these reels and when the next time I make a reel purchase it very well may be the another pfugger.