Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shack

Shacks Channel Cut Bait Tip!

8 posts in this topic

I figured I would give a little tip I have proven time and time again now for channels and cut bait. I have talked on here about it and never showed how I do it.

Many of my fishing partners are starting to see the light in this presentation and even Steve D and Grant have seen what it can produce. I get razed from time to time for doing it, but what they heck grin, I still get razed for using bullies from my non-FM catfishing friends.

I will let the images show what I do wink.

I am using an 8/0 gama octi circle hook.

FGzZt1WDRdLv5E97YPX3Kfes+tgtgLtS0300.jpg

Here is the topper. Most throw the head away, but I never do.

Ebl3SbRR5qdHLqW0AddoIf4N-pw8k9jU0300.jpg

This presentation helps tri fold.

1) Helps hold the cut bait on for longer periods of time. After the hook goes threw the skull, it is very hard to pull out.

2) Presents a much bigger presentation, which I feel helps keep the smaller channels at bay, but I am always amazed at what a small channel can pile down on.

3) The eyes! I feel the eyes help attract channels in for a closer look. I also feel if a channel see’s and or senses the eyes, he/she is more inclined to choose your bait instead of others close by.

I will also add, the head is a great piece to use for cut bait. The juices flow nicely and longer than any other part of the cut bait.

This presentation will work with any and all cut baits.

Now, you just have to find big hungry channels, which has been a task this season grin.

Give it a try next time, what could it hurt.

Good luck!

Thanks Ace!

It was something I started about 4-5 years ago and have done ever since when fishing for channels.

It may work or may not (more so may), but when the bite is slow or weak, anything helps to spark things up.

I for one love using the head, I seem to catch more fish on that piece than any other piece.

El Shack- give me a holler or an email- need a round two for those upper Miss cats.

maybe I wont near break my ankle this time! wink

the head is great for keeping the bait on for those extra long casts!

I think the head is second only to the guts, but the advantage of the head is the guts get picked away pretty quick. You squish them pretty good and still keep the skull intact for a solid hooking.

ditto on the cut head I think they still think its just a rolling smeel thing that looks like part of a dead fish. you can even catch flats with them to grin