• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Replace axle on boat trailer

bearberg

Question

I am considering replacing the axle on my boat trailer as I go through a set of tires almost every summer due to the alignment of the wheels on the trailer. Has anyone replaced the axles on their trailer? Any info would be appreciated.

2 answers to this question

I replaced the axle on my trailer last summer after 12 years of losing bearings almost every summer. I have a 2400 lb trailer, which was just too light for my boat, and I ended up buying a 3500 lb axle from the local steel/welding shop. Pretty easy to take off, just jack up and remove 4 bolts per side to loosen the axle from the spring. You'll need to either bring your boat in, or remove the axle so they can measure the spring centers to get the right length axle. That trailer is ready for 20 more years now!