• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

I've stopped by and toured part of the campus and it's pretty impressive. They had/have a program to shoot missles filled w/ inert gasses into the atmoshere and change teh colors of teh northern lights-crazy stuff. The kids play disc golf on campus and one of the missles was a target. They also had a herd of muskox for cold weather studies. IMO Fairbanks reminds me alot of MN and not nearly as scenic as the coast but I'm sure there are some awesome outdoors opportunities up there; fishing, hunting,goldmining,snowmobiling......

redhooks

KC870-I think if you'd like to live up north like the Ely area you'd prolly love fairbanks, lots of trees, rivers, snow....I just looked at thier HSOforum and it looks like a pretty impressive shool. If you've never been to Ak I suggest you go and check it out ASAP-you'll either love it or, not sure what the other option is.

You'd have to get used to the light cycles and traveling back home might be tough. The scenery along the coast and mts up to denali are spectacular, I was only in fairbanks once and it reminded me alot of MN only way more rugged. UAA in anchorage might be a good bet as well, bigger city more people but it is a big city w/ big city problems, 45 minute drive and you can be semi remote. School is dirt cheap for residents so it wouldn't be a bad idea to move up there and establish your residency, must be up there for a year.

There was a saying about alaska " Go when your young you'll never come back, go when your old and you'll regret not being there sooner."

I love it up there and am heading up next summer to help a friend build a cabin-counting down the days already....

redhooks

Been to AK many times.....I prefer Anchorage area and the Pennisula. As for School UAA I hear is decent (a buddies son is attending next year), don't know much about UAF.

As for Fairbank, More extreme than most places. Just inside the artic circle so LONG nights in the winter, and LONG days in the summer. When people ask me I say it's the one place I know of with worse weather than MN, Summers can hit 90's and you think MN bugs are big....and winters 30-40 below......

Anchorage is much more subtle in weather, summers rarely see 80's, winters barely see zero, lots of snow some ice.....the ocean has a huge affect.....I jealous for college I would say go and have fun!!

which pennisula are you talking about? I alsohave herd several times there are problems in Anchorage. Do you know if this is true or not. Is there alot of outdoorsman activities around the Anchorage area. I have no idea I have never been up there but I would love to go and am seriously thinking about attending a school up there next year. Thanks for all the help guys.

Anchorage is like any other major city, area has about 350,000 people. Good fishing within 30 min, Skiing, hiking....I keep pretty close tabs on, my buddy has a business up there so stay in touch often. He lives in Eagle River just up the road, Burnsville to St. Paul distance.

The Kenai Pennisula, 2-2.5 hours away....Think of driving to Alexandria from burnsville. Great fishing!!

Never done any hunting up there, to busy fishing when I get up there for 10 days every summer.

My 2 cents, if I would have known 20 years ago what I know today I would have gone to college up there and probably only come back here to chase Whitetails!!

Good luck!!

Fairbanks is not quite in the circle, but it does get cold. I personally LOVE fairbanks and would live there myself if there was enough open area for hunting and trapping.

Come to alaska, if you don't you will always regret it, and if you do and don't like it you can always go home. Don't wonder "what if", that is the advice i was given before I moved up, and i won't be coming back to MN to live smile

fisherman222 would there be enough hunting and fishing for a guy that is new to the area? How easy would it be to find in Fairbanks? What is the main type of hunting and fishing up there. Like i have said earlier I have never been there. Thanks to all for your help.

sure there is always fishing and hunting to do. I am not from fairbanks, but know they have lots of pike, burbot fishing is big, greyling are around, and some trout are in some of the lakes and rivers i believe.

As far as hunting, hook up with some Alaska guys and you will have lots of opportunities once you become a resident.