• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Will be up in Bayfield area in two weeks to do a little fishing...Have only fished inland lakers in Ontario with downriggers and flasher/spoon combos. I see people talking of flies and spin n glo's a lot in that area. Are these necessary? I will be stopping at Outdoor Allure on the way up and purchasing whatever is needed but curious if lakers are spoon shy or something in the area? I do have a few "meat rigs" that I got a few years ago and have never used. Do these work for area lakers? I have had OK success with my setups in Ontario but i'm guessing Superior is a different beast...Any info appreciated...

rig the flashers with flies, leader 2.5 times the length of flasher. You can also take some dacron and run another treble off the one on the fly. Get some smelt on your way, hook them in the head with the first hook, then loop the dacron around the hook to the right length of the smelt, hook the second hook just behind the dorsal fin on the back, but put a little bend in the smelt. Check it at the boat, it should have a seductive spin to it, but not spiraling out of control. This is what we mean by "meat fishing". Green, my son, green. Don't be afraid to run squids in the same manner.

Spin & Glos produce a lot of Lakers in these parts. Behind dodgers or flashers. The bigger sized ones, where Craig at Outdoor Allure will have them, Pre-rigged or ones that you can rig yourself. Preferably with these, I run them on short leads behind an attractor. 16 to 18 inches on 40 to 50lb Fluorocarbon and then a strong # 2 to 1/0 treble for the business end.

But, you will also catch fish on spoons. Color is daily dependent. But for me, purples, golds, watermelons, and greens produce, usually day in and day out.

Meat Rigs do work, usually we use them with whole or cut bait herring or smelt. These at times catch the biggest fish of the day along with the spin&glo combo.

The good news is I managed my first Superior laker..the bad news...I didn't get any others...Had great weather and spent a lot of time w/the kids at the beach...Fun trip and Bodin's was a great place to hang out with the kids..Easy in and out with my boat at the ramp there as well...thanks for the tips..