• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

In car navigation

For those that have bought newer cars with in car navigation, there's a couple of products you can use now either called a navigation "lockpick" or "navtogo".

My wife and I just got a new minivan with navigation, and found that you cannot search on it while moving.

After doing a little research online, I found a couple of products which will allow you to get around these lockouts.

It was very frustrating driving from Texas and not being able to search what was coming up 2-3 hours ahead without having to stop the vehicle.

Does it allow you to put it back to O.E. if you decide to sell the car? I can see the potential for liability issues with the next owner not being warned about the potential hazards of using this system with its intended "safeguards" disabled.

It's a plug and play device, at least the lockpick is.

It plugs into the wiring harness for the radio, and then the harness from the lockpick plugs into the radio.

I know I explained that poorly, but I think you know what I mean.

It's also set up so if you have a warranty issue with the radio or navigation, you can unplug and remove it, such that it was never there.

A couple of other things I forgot to mention.

This add-on will also allow you to add a backup camera if you don't already have one, or a forward / "baby" camera if you'd like.

It also allows you to add AV to the rear seat if you don't already have it set up.

Again, it's got to be on radios with the large screens, not just a standard radio.

It also allows the passenger to view the video on the screen while the vehicle is moving as well.

Unfortunately a lot of folk's have had problems with the "lockpick" unit (Coastal's GMX-322) and customer service has been non-existant (good luck returning the unit). Be very careful if you want to go that route. There are a couple of other similar units with less features but have shown to be more reliable.

Unfortunately a lot of folk's have had problems with the "lockpick" unit (Coastal's GMX-322) and customer service has been non-existant (good luck returning the unit). Be very careful if you want to go that route. There are a couple of other similar units with less features but have shown to be more reliable.

This is the unit that I have.

We're done with the lawns for the week, don't have to work this weekend, so I'm going to try to install this little bugger, broken foot and all.

I'll let you all know how it turns out.

One thing that I WAS impressed with from Coastal, is that they have a complete video on how to install it in your vehicle, rather than trying to decipher instructions that have been translated from a different language, like some things that get bought.

I got out this morning, took all of 15 minutes to undo the dash, pull the radio out, plug the Lockpick in, and put the dash together, and that's WITH a broken foot.

I didn't hook up all the other wires, since we already have most of the options in the van as is.

I wanted this mostly for the ability to use the navigation search while moving, but now we can also watch the video from the front screen.

At least the passenger in the front seat, as all the videos are Veggie Tales, SpongeBob, etc. I won't be certain videos like former NBA players that get in accidents.