• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tow Vehicle

chasineyes

Looking to get into camping next year and need to purchase a tow vehicle...Choosing between a SUV (Expedition/Suburban or Crew Cab PU). Has anyone had any "wish I would have bought something else relization"??

Extendid cab or crew cab is what I prefer. With a truck Its easier to back up the trailer because of better veiwing. And you can climb into box to get to boat without getting your feet wet to unhook boat. Also you can carry more stuff in the box and you can beaf up, or purchase a truck with heavier suspension, the suspension without hindering performace.

usually people go for mileage. I would just buy something that has enough room to fit everything in it be it an truck with ext cab or an suv just buy an 8 cyl you will not regret it I use a dakota with a 5 speed

Depends on what you are gonna tow. I am partial to truck because the tend to be a bit more flexible, you need to haul a load of junk to the dump, or run to the the lumber yard you are set. Just towing an aluminum boat in the 16 to 18 foot range, I would say a half ton crew or extended cab, you want to tow something heavier, get something made to take the load.

I am debating the same issue for my next vechicle. I've always had trucks with a topper. But am looking at other options.

Although, the truck and topper, I'm thinking is till the best way to go. You have all the stoarage you need and don't have to worry about the dirt and mess inside the SUV. If going the truck route like others have said an extended cab is a definate. I also like the 4 wheel drive of a truck, not just all wheel drive like alot of SUV's.

I think its mostly personal preference. I had a truck, went to the SUV and now I wish I had the truck again. My wife agrees with me and thats saying something.....

For me there is way more room in the bed of a truck then there will ever be in the back of an SUV. If you have pets, this becomes important. Storing fishing rods can be tough in an SUV unless they can go in a boat or strapped to the roof of the SUV.

Also with a truck you can put dirty/smelly/dangerous (gas) stuff in the bed of the truck without subjecting everyone to the fumes/mess. Its easier to clean out the bed of a truck too.

Obviously my vote is for the CC truck. The gas mileages will be pretty close and the suspensions on trucks are made for towing.

Dog got me up at 4:30 am to go out and I couldn't all back asleep. That I had to get ready to head to California for some training for work. So here I am sitting her in CA for a week. The things a guy has to go through to be employed wink

If you can put all your stuff in the trailer/camper, go with the Suburban. If you need the truck's extra space, go that way. My load and trailer have changed over the years and I now tow with a Suburban/5.3. We hardly have anything in the back of the Sub.

I just went from a 1/2 ton Suburban to a 1/2 ton extended cab pickup. The pickup pulls the trailer better for sure but I sure do miss that old Suburban. I liked all the little storage nooks and crannies, the ride and comfort and the utility of the Suburban. Next veh. will probably be another Suburban

I bought a tahoe a couple years ago to pull the camper when my family outgrew my old pickup. the tahoe is now for sale and I'm going to get a crew cab truck!! just so much easier to throw stuff in the back of the pickup than to try and "organize" everything so you can get it all in the vehicle/camper.