Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CrappiesNeyes

Trolling motor wiring recommendation?

7 posts in this topic

I am installing a 24v Vantage trolling motor on the back of my boat. The question I have is: What gauge of wire do I need to run? I will be running it approx 15 ft. Is 10 gauge enough? Do I need heavy wire for the ground also? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I would use 4 or 6. You need heavy duty for both.

I run 4 gauge from my front trolling motor batteries back to my rear troller and everything seems fine.

I wouldn't use less than 6ga.

Also, don't forget a fuse/circuit breaker as the very first thing off the batteries in the positive lead. A 40A or 50A is probably about right.

The breaker should be a 50 amp breaker and the wire should be no less than 6 gauge, 4 being a better choice. My Minn Kota repair person said the worst thing you can do to a Vantage is not get it enough current.

The sure fire way to get it right without any questions is to call the minn kota cust. service number. We did the same for our boat, and they have the formulas already figured out related to the lbs of thrust and distance of wires. We didnt have to wait long on the phone to get someone, and they gave us the answer within a few seconds. Call minn kota to be sure. Otherwise, I would put my money on 4 gauge, but get ready for the sticker shock when you see what it will cost you blush

Here's a AWG (american wire guage) table for loads current it will help you.

[Note from admin: Please read forum policy before posting again. Thank you.]