Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TroyMcClure

Working weekends in Ottumwa area...

3 posts in this topic

It looks like I will be spending some weekends down in the Ottumwa area for work. It can be quite boring and I am a pretty avid fishermen back in Minneapolis.

Are there any suggestions for spots that I can shorefish down in this area? On the river? Particular species?

If shorefishing is not an option, then I might make the trip once or twice with my boat in tow. Don't think work will reimburse those miles though.

Just looking for some advice. I don't go more than three days at home in the summer without the boat in the water. Just a week here and already I am like an addict looking for a fix.

Rathbun Lake which is south of hwy 34 on Hwy 5....Not sure whats in there,

Red Rock Lake....has a river that comes from that lake going past Ottumwa.

These are two I can think of right now. U could always check out the Iowa's DNR HSOforum. :-)

Des Moines river goes right thru Ottumwa. At 'the Hydro' as its known locally they fish cats and snag paddlefish. I have never fished there but I used to live a short distance away.