Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Central Bassman

KVD WINS Angler of the Year

22 posts in this topic

Years ago, cant even remember what year.. KVD in his rookie season was a seminar guy at our own Midwest sportshow(if I had to guess is to was 1990).. I sat in on his seminar with my father, if I remember right KVD was 19 at the time. I could be wrong though..At the end of the seminar I shook his hand and wished him luck on his career, Kevin only a few years older than myself...

At the end of his seminar I looked at my father and said... "This dude, is going to make it"... "He will be the first kid from the north to survive."

At that point, Nobody from the northern US had doen well consistantely.. I know people call shots, but I feel I nailed this one, and my dad reminds me of it every time he wins, WHICH IS A LOT!

Congrats to KVD, The dude just flat out breaks the mold!

Pretty cool story ... Where is KVD from?

If their is such a thing as a fishing gene those vandams have it!

From what I hear his brother is just as good if not better and I guess his nephew, who is pretty young, has been doing alright on the circuit.

A long time ago and not too far away, a Minneapolis Ranger dealer was having a winter boat show featuring a guest appearance by none other than TV star and fishing whiz Roland Martin. There was also an upstart rookie sponsered by Glastron there who no one wanted to talk to although he was making some head turns in the bass wars. I being new to bass fishing and wanting to learn as much as I could decided the lonely rookie was approachable and went up to him and began talking fishing. Well it was fishing to me, I am sure now in hindsight he realized what a neophyte I was to this game. Make a long story short, he spent the entire day explaining his theories on fish, location, anything you could think to ask. He invited me to lunch, and since no one was seeking him out, he was more than happy to explain in great detail what he thought were keys to sucessful fishing. I spent over 8 hours one on one with Rick Clunn who the next year won his first Bassmaster Classic!

I heard KVD is from the zoo minnesta has a fence around (IOWA)

the guy is a flat out stud. Best fisherman in the world and will be for ever Period.

Nice stories about your brush with fame. Way to go KVD. The choc chip cookies his wife makes is his key to sucess. LOL

is wife makes him cookies before every tournament to eat out on the lake during i believe.

Nope, it is the cookies. I am pretty sure she is just fine with baking him cookies with all the bread he brings home. A day in the boat with KVD would be a day nobody could ever forget.

A day in the boat with KVD would be a day nobody could ever forget.

Isnt this the truth. The man is a stud.

this past year, he has really opened up his personality, and won me over completely. my little girl is a huge fan. i wonder if i can work out an arranged marriage with one of his boys and my little girl?

Ever watch the show on ESPN called The Bass Pro's? KVD is on there all the time along with Rick Clunn, Timmy Horton, Jason something with all the tatoos and ear rings, Mike Ike, Skeet I think... It's pretty cool and they show tips and tricks they use.

Any ways - I think I got the cookie deal from watching that show. Maybe it was a Bass Master's show, but he was saying that was his secret - kidding of course.

Aaron Martin's has some routine to. PB&J's or something.

It's unbelievable how splash-less his pitches are.It's as if he's dippin' a teabag in a cup...and doing it from 30 feet away!

Good.Crazy good.