• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Public Land Stands

mrklean

It all depends on what "type" of public land you're talking about...in WMA's and State parks open to hunting,only portable stands are allowed and they must be removed every day at the close of hunting...in Scientific and Natural Areas open to hunting it is the same with the addition that there is no damage done to trees or other vegitation...nails,

spikes, "screws or anything that damages the bark of the tree is prohibited! State Forests and other public lands...the use of portable stands is "recommended"...you can leave them overnite...but they must be removed...I suppose by the end of the respective season...that being said... if you build a permanent stand or blind in a state forest, on any undesignated state land, federal or county land....the following applies....."any unoccupied stand or blind on "public land" is "public" and not the property of the person who constructed the stand!!"

There is a section in the law book relating to this. It is also on the dnr HSOforum. Look it up, read it, its all there. It is the most confounded confusing set of rules there is, but it is what it is. Generaly I take my stuff home at the end of the day.

Yes it is my property, my tax dollars helped buy it so yes it is, as it is yours and everyone elses property which is why it is PUBLIC LAND. I asked a simple question and wanted simple answer. I have a spot picked out on public land that is pretty hidden and wouldnt see much pressure which is why i asked. Thanks to the rest

We have put portable stands on public property before and left it there through the entire deer season. I don't see a problem with this. We also understand that we risk the possibility that someone else may elect to use our portable if they happen to come across it. We also take the risk that someone might decide to do everyone a favor and take it out for us, if you know what I mean.

I just figure if you run across a stand, portable or otherwise, and it is unoccupied, then it's fair game. Granted, we wouldn't go so far as to take it but the risk is there nonetheless.

I remember one ladder stand that we used for years. It belonged to somebody but we never saw anyone in it or tracks leading to it other than our own. Then one day it was no longer there so we figure the owner finally took it home. We suspected a bow or muzzleloader hunter that didn't hunt during the regular firearms season.

Bob

If it's public land you have to take it with you when you leave. I guess you could try to leave it and hope it's there in the morning. But if you come back and someones in it, you have no right to it because it just became public.

Yea i was looking at puttin a padlock on it, maybe use my ladder sticks cause i can take them down very easy and put them up, make it hard for someone if they really want to steal a cheap stand.

i'm sure mrklean meant leaving portable stands out. They recommend you take them down. with todays equipment, why would anyone nail a wooden stand to a tree anywhere, when you can just buy a ladder stand, strap it to a tree, and it will last forever. but if you do leave a portable in a tree on public land, don't be suprised when someone is sitting in it. after all, it is public then. but no, you can't use the screw in steps, as it harms the tree.

My advise would be is to just read the regs carefully and do what you wanna do. I mean i leave my stand up all season long and i have a cheap ole 20 dollar stand and i chain it up so no one can steal it but if i see someone in it i really dont care. The stand is so noisy when i go put it up and its a pain in the dark it put up so i usually leave it there.

If you are that concernd i would just call the DNR office or the local C.O. and get a definate answer and find out where you can and cannot put up stands over-night

I leave most of my stands up during the entire season and some of them all year. I have "lost" my share of stands even though I only hunt private land. I have now switched to putting my stands up with climbing sticks and a few screw in steps and then pulling the sticks out with me. That way I can decide on a daily basis which stand I want to go to or take a climber or my Lone Wolf for a tree that is prepared but the stand is not hung.

I see no problem with leaving a portable on public land as long as it is allowed. Just be prepared to have a back up plan and a good chain and lock on it. There is nothing better than slipping in quiet and not having to carry everything in and set it up when you get there.

Good Luck.

Wow - this post shows the level of interest and the level of confusion out there over deer stands. This confusion is not surprising - it gets complicated fast.

Main thing is to know who administers the "public land" you hunt.

Federal Land (Forest Service) - No permanents - portables allowed but need to be removed at end of season. No damage to any vegetation (even minor trimming for shooting lanes).

State WMA and SNA Land (DNR)- Portables only, removed each night, no damage to veg.

State Forest Land (DNR)- Permanents allowed if they don't have a wall and a roof (would constitute a trespass building). Portables allowed. No damage to trees over 4 inches in diameter.

State tax-forfeited lands (County Land Departments) - Some counties are starting to get their own policies. Cass - free hanging permanents and portables only. Crow Wing - no permanents, Many counties have no direct policies but can enforce occupancy (unauthorized building)trespasses. Can also enforce timber trespasses (cutting of shooting lanes etc).

To add to the confusion, even if you know the rules pertaining to the different public lands, the public lands are intermixed out there so you need to know the property boundaries out there to know what standards apply. Example - I have a permanent stand on state forest land in one area but if I walk 50 yards to my south, I cross over to Federal Land and can only use portables which I do. The average hunter is not going to figure all this out.

There is no simple answer to the question of what is currently legal on public lands in Minnesota. I think eventually all permanents will be phased out so I am going more to portables myself.

Why would you leave the stand? Is it not your property you brought in? You take it in you bring it out with the rest of your stuff.

Do you want permision to leave your Budwieser empties and your candy wrapers to.

I don't get the similarity between litter and a portable deer stand. That is like saying kill the out board motor on the scenic St. Croix because you are ruining my wilderness experience.

They recommend you take them down. with todays equipment, why would anyone nail a wooden stand to a tree anywhere,

Because, I am uncomfortable in a ladder stand, I even have a hanging type portable, not so crazy about that one either. On a permanent on that is on my property, all the stands have 3 or 4 foot places to stand...Hence called a stand, not a sit.

I guess those that put up huts with heat and electricity in them are really stretching it. But then again as long as it is on their own property.

Also right next to our property are 2 state owned lands...they are not SMA, WMA or state forests, they just show on the map as owned by State of Minnesota. The neighbors have permanents and the state has not touched them yet, and yes the DNR knows about them.

I think Bowfin explained it as clearly as possible. If you choose to disobey those rules, you are breaking the law.

I have a friend who though very little of these laws and left several stands, steps and cameras in public land with special regulations. It receives little traffic and he felt comfortable leaving his things out. They hadn't been touched after several years. Then one day everything was GONE. The stands were marked by a business card from the Conservation Officer in the area. It said "If you want your stuff back please contact me". He had well over $1000 in fines after everything was totaled as individual violations. The officer offered his one fine of $250 and a stiff warning. Needless to say he took the deal.

LIke BobT I have hunted other peoples stands on public land and I've reported unsightly and obviously illegal stands. If you follow the laws you will be fine.

No need to get feisty! No matter how secluded a spot of public land happens to be, it's just not good policy to leave a stand in for very long. Where it is not illegal to do so, one has to remember that if you leave it you are giving up ownership until you return. If it's gone when you come back, good luck filing much of a police report. My thought is why chance it!

I have a different take on this. It is legal, and i can 100% understand why a person would not want to carry in all the gear, for a day long hunt in the stand. However, in the area I live, the hunters place a lot of stand everywhere. I would guess in the "prime" funnel locations and areas, I have seen 5-6 stands in a 2/ 3 acre site.

SO my point. Well I am a bowhunter. I too would like the opportunity to hunt on the public land, but if everyone leaves out a stand or the whole season, and you only hunt on the weekends every other week, you are taking up a place on the public land, when someone else could be hunting there. Sure I could use their stand, but it just doen't feel right.

So pick a spot, hunt it and have fun, then remore the stand if you will not be back for awhile. Then the rest of us can enjoy the area too.