• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Deer rifle suggestions for my daughter

ccarlson

I'm looking for a new deer rifle for my teenage daughter. Myself, I like and use a .30-06 and thought it would be nice to all shoot the same caliber (ammo reasons etc.). I was ready to pick up a used remington 7400 semi auto for her until I read another post on that gun.

I've got a browning longtrac .30-06 semi that I've never had a problem with and her and I both enjoy shooting it because it has a very manageable recoil. I was just hoping to get a good gun for her that wouldn't cost quite as much as my browning. The main thing is that I really like the recoil reduction a semi auto offers compared to a bolt or pump. A quick way to get the kids shy of shooting a deer rifle is to have one that kicks too much, especially when you're talking about a girl that is 5'5" and 100 pounds. I used to have a pump .30-06 and even I didn't enjoy shooting that gun.

My daughter is an experienced hunter and shooter (more so with waterfowl, birds and trap) so the semi auto doesn't worry me from a safety aspect. Last year we used a .243 bolt for her deer hunting and I wasn't impressed with the "shocking power" of the .243 compared to a larger caliber. Hence the desire to step her up into a .30-06 semi this year. As I said, she has target shot my browning without problem.

My other thought, if I did go with a bolt action and different caliber would be to go with a 7mm-08 for her. I've heard good things about this caliber in terms of less recoil but still an effective round for killing power.Is this true? Any thoughts or suggestions on .30-06 semi auto's, 7mm-08 bolts, or other ideas would be appreciated.

By the way, we hunt mostly wooded areas with 150-200 yards max shots. Most shots would be less than 100 yards so the accuracy of a bolt compared to a semi auto would be mute.

thanks,

ccarlson

I like the 30-06, but this year just got a new 270 bolt action, my 30-06 is an old woodsmaster semi-auto and just not a fan of that, but good luck always a fun search

I also like how a 25-06 handles and shoots as well.

The 7mm-08 is a great kid round. I just picked up my first one recently and have target shot with a buddies out to 250 yards and the drop is very easy to get a hold of. The other great kids round would be the 260 Rem. Not a ton of recoil but plenty of punch and decent trajectory. Or my other favorite small round I own is the 25 WSSM. Took a doe out in Montana at 420 yards with the .25.

Another Vote for the 7mm08. Very nice caliber. I shoot a .270 now, and would gladly swich back.

Personaly I have never liked the -06. Not sure why, I realize it is the most common round out there, its just not for me.

I own a Remington 7400 in both .30-06 and .308 they kicks like a mule. Also I have a Remington Model Seven CDL in 7mm-08 I just bought last spring, very pleasure to shoot with it. I'd say Remington Model seven in 7mm-08 is as about as perfect deer rifle you can get hunting in Minnesota woods. Just my opinion.

101Winchester and Cootz,

Thanks for the info on the 7mm-08. Specifically, what does your wife say about the recoil of this gun? That is my only concern if I did go with a bolt.

Daughter number 2 will be old enough to deer hunt next year so getting a 7mm-08 bolt may be an option. #1 could use it this year and we could see how it goes and if we like it. #2 could then use it next year as a starter gun as I don't like a semi auto for a 1st year hunter.

Between shotguns and rifles over the next couple of years, I might as well forget about putting money away for their college!

BobT,

Cost of the ammo is not the issue, it is convenience of each of us having the same ammo in the field etc.

keep the suggestions coming.

ccarlson

You know, in thirty years of deer hunting I've never had to borrow shells from anyone. That reason has never been a concern to me. Now duck hunting and grouse hunting, that's another story. Every time I decided to bring the old 20 gauge out of retirement I'd run out of shells two miles from the truck and had to just watch birds get up in front of me while my buddies kept shootings. Happened twice in the last ten years.

Cootz,

You and I are in the same boat, I haven't had to borrow any shells either but we are not teenage girls, are we?

I have a simple philosophy I use to keep my sanity. It's called Predict and prevent. But heck, I'm just glad she's interested in hunting with me so I'll put up with that type stuff.

ccarlson

i'd recommend a .264 win mag. very tough ballistics to beat. however, the selection in rifles is limited to maybe only one brand. very quick and flat. essentially, it is a 7mm necked down to a 6.5 mm. pretty much the same brass as a 7 mag

The recoil in my wifes Model 7 is a non-issue. She shoots this gun very well. A nice thing about the youth/ladies model, is the size, especially in Nov with all the bulky clothes. We run Federal Preium Noslers in 140 grain or in a pinch the Remington core-lockt 140s. Tried Hornady's but this rifle just didn't like them. I have a daughter who is going to be coming out in a couple of years, and I will be buying another 7mm/08. Good luck and shoot straight. Tim

A couple other options to consider-

The new Thompson Center Icon bolt action in .30TC (Hornady bullet) is intriguing. This rifle just came out last year. On their HSOforum they have a video. Says the caliber has the knock down power of a .30-06 but with a lot less recoil. Anyone hear any reports?

My brothers wife just bought one of Marlin's new lever guns in .308. The lever guns combined with Hornady's new "leverevolution" ammo show much increased ballistics. Even for the .30-30.

If you are worried about something kicking too much just through a Boss system on it or any type of muzzle break system. I have a terrible right shoulder and cannot stand the recoil of most guns. My 7mm Rem Mag with the boss system has almost no kick. The downside is that you are practically deaf afterwards. There is no question who is shooting when I bring that gun. I would buy another 7mm rem mag in a second, I love how the gun shoots and I have never had to track a deer as they have all dropped in their tracks.

By the way buy a Browning A-Bolt or anything made by TC. Those are the brands I trust.

One thing that I keep in mind when buying a deer rifle is is the ammo readaly (spell?) available. Meaning do you have to get your ammo from Cabelas or Sportsmens? Personaly I love my 308 and have several friends that love them. ALso keep in mind the reduce recoil shells that others have mentioned. Keep up the good work showing your girls the way to hunt!

Thanks for the all the suggestions. It helps to share the thought process to see what others think.

What I'm leaning towards after talking to my daughter is to go ahead and get a Remington model 700 SPS Youth 7mm-08. Even though she has long arms, the shorter stock may fit better over her warm clothes. Throw a good variable scope on it and she'll be set for either a couple of years or many years if she likes the bolt. That set up saves me about $350 compared to getting her the browning semi auto I was thinking about. If she really wants to get into a semi auto at some point, I'll let daughter #2 use it and we'll add what we need to. Either way, the 7mm-08 sounds like a gun we'll really like.

One more question though. I don't know a ton about bolts but one thing I didn't like about the ones I've used is having to cycle the shells to unload them. I really like the clip aspect of a semi auto. Are there any bolt action 7mm-08's out there that use a clip?

Thanks again,

ccarlson

i would give a 308 the look before the 7mm08. nothing against the 7mm08 but the 308 is obviously the same casing with a 30 cal bullet vs the 284 bullet of the 7mm. the 308 is a very popular caliber with managable recoil. but its your call good luck on your decision.

check out the savage line. i dont know if they make the model 111 or in 308 with the clips. i have a 111 in the 270 caliber and love it. i think i paid 400 for the package. gun scope sling 2 clips and a case 3 or 4 years ago. dont get me wrong the scope and sling are by no means top of the line but the get the job done.

A model 7 should have a bottom drop on it so you don't have to cycle the shells through. Just open the bolt and open the bottom of mag and your rifle will be empty. On a bolt that does not have a bottom drop you don't need to cycle the rounds through the chamber, just move the bolt fat enough ahead to push the round out of mag, tilt rifle up and to the side and the round will roll out into your hand. Repeat until empty.

The 7mm08 is an excellent round, That being said, I am with pooh on this one, I have 2 model 7's in 308 and my kids love them. Daughter started with hers @ 14, son started @ 12, recoil has not been an issue.