• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Best Power Drill

bassNspear

Any criteria on that drill? I really like the Festool drills. I have a TDD12 (a few years old) with the different chucks and it's a great improvement over the two Dewalts that it replaced. I also like the Metabo drills too.

not sure on how to spell the name but they make pretty cheap beer in wiscosin. or go with the heavy wieght dewalt with three speeds. I however just use a two speed craftsman and it does just fine.

Definitely recommend going cordless with no less than 18v. I would consider a combo tool package cause you can save a lot over buying seperately.

I broke down a 3 years ago and bought the 5 piece 18v set from DEWALT (drill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, light, storage case & 2 batteries). Best tool purchase I've made. There pretty spendy, but well worth it over.

It is pretty rare that I feel I am compromising over a corded tool. Lots of power, runs very long on a charge, excellent design and has been very reliable after 3 years of use. The batteries show no signs of losing chargability.

As a bonus, the drill has a hammer drill mode for drilling concrete. And it came with a mail in offer to get a 5th tool of your choice for free. I went with the 2 gallon wet/dry vacuum (instead of the scrolling saw, sander, etc.). Highly recommend this little vac to anyone that lives on a lake. It can run corded or w/ 18v battery. Best think for blowing up large tubes/floaties in seconds. If you ever tried doing this with a small air compressor, you will love it. Don't have power at the lake so use it with the 18v to vacuum out the boats at the dock, or suck out any water that the bilge can't get to.

One other comment. If you go cordless, take into consideration the other cordless tools you can use with the same batteries. All the tools mentioned in my post use the same batteries. Would be a hassel maintaining multiple types of batteries and chargers. For the 5 tools I have, I only have 2 batteries and one charger and works just fine. Makes replacing cheaper too.

My father in law has a Ridgid cordless set. Seems pretty good too, I think it was a bit cheeper in cost, and I think it had a longer warrenty. One nice feature of the rigid is the dual charger to charge two batteries at the same time, and I think it recharged very fast.

You also want to think about how you're going to use it. The 18V DeWalt is an awesome drill, along with the rest of the set, but I wouldn't call it small or lightweight either. If you're going to be using it overhead or while on a ladder a lot, something smaller might fit you better.

I've used the DeWalt 18V extensively, and I've also owned a Ridgid 14.4V for four years. If either of these fit your usage, I would certainly recommend either one.

Festool, Metabo, Panasonic for Cordless. Milwauke, Makita for corded. When I use my Festool I tend to use it all day long in tight quarters and goofy postitions so great ergonomics and efficient use of power (i.e. 12v or 15v that can out torque an 18v Dewalt) are more important than brute force. Slugging an 18v or 24v all day can be an unneeded pain. What do you plan on doing? Also, some of the fairly cheap cordless impact drills can be very usefull. Nice to throw into the truck too.

PANASONIC..... The only way to go. We use Panasonic drills, saws, recip.saws, impacts, all of that good stuff. I'm the guy that fixes them, Dewalt doesn't compare to Panasonic. Easily fixable when the motor, switch, clutch etc. goes bad. Parts are easy to get and reasonable. The impact drivers that they make are unbeleivable. Panasonic is a great tool, well worth the investment.

I just got my first cordless drill a couple weeks ago an I stole a Milwakee Hammer Drill and Impact from Home Depot for 220 bucks!

Heres the drill:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_27_40028_-1_735044_192143_192137

Heres the impact that came with it for FREE:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_27_40028_-1_743716_192145_192137

So far with what I've done with them they work awesome. The Impact is awesome I've never used one before. When I got them home I was a little mad/jealus to see that Milwaukee has a new set up out. I also got two batterys and a half hour charger in the kit. Then I went to Fleet-Farm and they had a nice milwaukee kit bit kit to go with it.

I have the older Milwaukee set. It is the 18 volt, but not the newer lithium. Have had it and used them in my line of work. Have dropped the drill on concrete from one story and dropped it off a ladder up 15 feet....it still works great. On one of the batteries the soldering let loose inside, but was able to fix it. 4 batteries, saw, drill, impact, sawzall, worklight, and a 3 bay charger. After about 4 years of heavy use, they still all work, although the batteries need a fresh charge right before use now. They seem to be finally getting a bit weak. I will be looking into the newest 18 volt or 28volt soon, when they come out.

I guess the M18 is already out.

I've been looking for a new cordless drill to replace a Skil. (BTW, don't ever waste your money on one of those.) According to consumer reports, Panasonic gets the nod over all the others. Second on the list is the Makita.

My dad and myself have the Ridgid's and they have been great cordless drills. It will give you a full battery charge in roughly 20 mins.. I have a 12 volt and the oldman has a 18 volt. The only thing I don't like about the 18 is that it's heavy. My 12 volt can do 95% of the work the 18 volt can. I would buy another in heart beat.

Not sure what the Nano is but we have Dewalts at work. They really take a beating and keep on working. I went with the advice of Consumer Reports and just ordered a Panasonic from Northern Tools. I'll let you know what I think of it in a week or two.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.