Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sandmannd

Welfare recipients shopping in Hawaii?

95 posts in this topic

Welfare recipients shopping in Hawaii? GOP shows it’s so

More than $10 million in purchases with state-issued cards was done out of state, including locations as far away as Hawaii and Alaska.

By MIKE KASZUBA, Star Tribune

Last update: August 8, 2008 - 6:32 AM

Welfare recipients in Minnesota used state-issued benefit cards to make more than $10 million in purchases in other states during the past year, including locations as far away as Hawaii and Alaska, data released Thursday showed.

House Republicans released the statistics at a news conference, and state Department of Human Services confirmed the numbers but stressed that the purchases were legal and that many might be cases of Minnesota residents living near Wisconsin and North Dakota and shopping in those states.

"This is a red flag for the taxpayer," said House Minority Leader Marty Seifert, who said he had asked for a legislative audit of the decade-old electronic benefit transfer card system. Seifert said he did not necessarily blame department officials but said the DFL-majority Legislature -- which House Republicans hope to retake political control of in the fall elections -- should be held responsible.

In a one-year period ending in June, state officials identified 48,821 uses of the cards in Illinois that totaled $1.3 million. There were more than 62,000 transactions in North Dakota for $2.2 million, 66,000 in Wisconsin for $2.4 million and 14,000 in Iowa for $498,129. There were also 12,631 uses of the card in Michigan for more than $392,000 and 12,670 transactions in Texas for just over $387,000.

Though the numbers were small, there were 126 transactions in Hawaii for $2,890 and 217 in Alaska for $14,810.

House Republicans acknowledged that the amount of out-of-state spending, which totaled $10.2 million in the past year, was a fraction of the $496.3 million in transactions made. "Some people might say it's only $10 million," said Seifert. "To me, $10 million is $10 million."

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Problem I have with is is what are these people doing on welfare if they can afford to go to Hawaii, Alaska, and all over the countr?

If that is a factual report, I am with you, they shouldn't be able to afford trips to Hawaii.

Yea, I don't know how it ended up in the Red Star fishwrap, but it was there. I'm pretty sure it's factual. Actually I'm positive. I have a rental house that is rented by a section 8 person. We called to go inspect it a couple of weeks ago to reup the lease and she called back saying she was in Hawaii. Now she doesn't work and has 7 kids living there. So how do they afford a trip to the islands?

By the way, I was only reading that carpfest of a fishwrap to see the latest on the carpfest of a Favre.

makes me sick. in my eyes those cards should only be for buying food. basic food for that matter. no ice cream, cookies, etc. when I go to the grocery store with my OL we have a list and a budget and we rareley buy anything not on the list. we spend $80 a week for the two of us for ALL food. we both work full time and have no debt, but we know and like having a budget.

it really makes me mad to see people ahead of me at the checkout with PILES of junk food that totals hundreds of dollars only to see them whip out their welfare card. I spend $40 a week on myself and I get to spend $400 a week feeding these people since I worked all week? they eat better then I do.

the card should not work out of state and there should be a list of approved foods. its supposed to be a means to supply you and your family with food to survive, not to allow you to stay home all day and eat anything you want.

Also, the reason they have the card is to "eliminate the embarassment of having to go to the welfair office" (thats right off the EBT HSOforum BTW)

the money is just automatically deposited to their account. no trip to the welfair office needed.

[PoorWordUsage]? shouldnt part of getting assistance be some amount of foot work and maybe an ounce of shame thrown in? no wonder these people never get off the system. there is no need to.

makes me sick. in my eyes those cards should only be for buying food. basic food for that matter. no ice cream, cookies, etc. when I go to the grocery store with my OL we have a list and a budget and we rareley buy anything not on the list. we spend $80 a week for the two of us for ALL food. we both work full time and have no debt, but we know and like having a budget.

it really makes me mad to see people ahead of me at the checkout with PILES of junk food that totals hundreds of dollars only to see them whip out their welfare card. I spend $40 a week on myself and I get to spend $400 a week feeding these people since I worked all week? they eat better then I do.

I suspect it was probably poor decision making that got most of these individuals into the situation where they need welfare. I would expect nothing less than to see them continue to make poor decisions going forward.

Plus, this day in age you dont need to have money to take trips around the country. Professional debters are growing by the day.....

I'm sure some of the out state shopping is border state people. If one lived along the border of another state, then the prices may be cheaper there.

No excuse for the Hawaii shopping though.

I think if received food stamps or whatever it is in Mn. the only place to use them should be in the Mn. econemy!.But I guess it is a federal program isn't it?

I don't believe it's federal. I believe each state has their own set of rules and takes care of their people. That's why (in my opinion) so many move to MN. We give a lot. Even if they border, I think they should all have to spend in MN to stay in our state with their money. Plus, I would wager that most are in the cities and should not have to go to WI to do their shopping.

I agree, there should be no spending in Hawaii or Alaska.

Plus, I would wager that most are in the cities and should not have to go to WI to do their shopping.

They are the ones that live in MPLS/ST PAUL and hear gas is 15 cents cheaper per gallon at SA over in hudson so they make the drive. smirk

I would also bet very strongly that a LOT of that spending is by immigrant families with relatives in other places, and they use their cards there while staying with them. Such as in Chicago, where most of the spending seems to be. And border folks, or ones that are traveling aroung looking for work

Still, only 2.5% of spending is out of state, that isn't too bad. Like others have said, not much excuse for Alaska or Hawaii though

What a crock. So that fascist right wing traitor Marty Seifert has his panties in a twist over this. Let's take a look at the data shall we? First off, as pointed out in the article (and the fascists agree) the purchases were legal "...but stressed that the purchases were legal...", so no fraud. The poor little brain dead fascist Marty and his other one-who-thinks-I-am-silly budies in the fascist party have a problem with where the money was spent and demand a "...legislative audit of the decade-old electronic benefit transfer card system."

To look at the numbers another way,

Total Spend $496,300,000

Out of State Spend $10,200,000 2.0552%

ND $2,200,000 0.4433%

Wis $2,400,000 0.4836%

IA $498,129 0.1004%

Total Border State Spend $5,098,129 1.0272%

MI $392,000 0.0790%

TX $387,000 0.0780%

Illinois $1,300,000 0.2619%

HI $2,890 0.0006%

AK $14,810 0.0030%

Total AK/HI $17,700 0.0036%

So, the border state spend (from the article) is around 1% of the total. That is nothing to get up in arms about and 4/1000 of a percent was spent in Hawaii and Alaska. Assumming all of the AK/HI spend was inappropriate, but not illegal, the fascist traitor Seifert want's to spend more money conducting an audit of 4/1000 of a percent waste. I'm sure we can find way more that 4/1000 of a percent waste in any program favored by the fascists. An audit isn't cheap and that one-who-thinks-I-am-silly fascist wants to spend more on an audit than the waste in the system. Good move fascists, just make work for your supporters.

Note from Admin, Please read forum policy before posting again,thank-you.

You throw around that "fascist" label around a little too easy. I think it may do you good to go to Amazon and order the Jonah Goldberg book, "Liberal Fascism: The Secret History of the American Left, from Mussolini to the Politics of Meaning."

It may broaden your perspective a bit...

I find it hypocriticle the gop releases a stat like this durring an election season when $10,000 is a drop in the bucket compared to expenditure politicians charge the government for frivolous spending of their own.

Case in point, that wack job that got fired because she was in Las Vegas when the bridge went down and didn't come back right away.That was on state money

I do have to say that $600 Norm Coleman pays for rent in a $10,000,000 home is a prety good deal

As Seifert said, "$10 Million is $10 Million".

Let's fix the leaks instead of pouring more money into the tank. Better yet let's get rid of the tank.

I don't think you're that naive to believe that all of those out of state purchases were by MN residents. Why is there a trail of people coming to MN every month from Chicago and elsewhere? To pick up their monthly checks.....and they aren't residents of MN!!! That's how liberal the welfare program is in this state...pretty much anyone can sign up and that's the point behind this news story. Time to crack down on this "loophole".

That made me laugh. I guess I'll become a pepublican so I cant be called a facist.

Ole Goerge W. is safe now from being called a fasist now we that we have that resolved grin

I'm trying to figure out why it took this Marty Seifert clown 6 terms to realize this is going on. confused

I mean, this is nothing new.

He and the other Republicans tried to clean it up during this past legislative session, but being the minority, well, you can figure it out.

As Seifert said, "$10 Million is $10 Million".

Let's fix the leaks instead of pouring more money into the tank. Better yet let's get rid of the tank.

I don't think you're that naive to believe that all of those out of state purchases were by MN residents. Why is there a trail of people coming to MN every month from Chicago and elsewhere? To pick up their monthly checks.....and they aren't residents of MN!!! That's how liberal the welfare program is in this state...pretty much anyone can sign up and that's the point behind this news story. Time to crack down on this "loophole".

Hmmm... That's odd, you would have thought he would have mentioned that the Republicans have been trying to fix this but were being overridden by the Democrats. I wonder why he didn’t ?

About 8 years ago my brothers girlfriend was on food stamps while they were in college. They seem to have about $200 week for food. They ate 100 times better then me or my buddies did when we were in school, we at mac and cheese and ramen, they at steak?

She worked at Mcdonalds, but only 4 hrs a week. If she worked more she would be cut back in stamps?

I worked 2 jobs, plus school to eat ramen?

They had all the new electronic toys, worked 4 hrs. a week and ate steak?

System seems a little screwed up.