Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NoviceFishingDad

Looking for info on Polaris 500 ATP - Is 7" Ground Clearance a problem

4 posts in this topic

In a previous post I got a lot of good info on what ATV to use for Cabin related activities and hoped I could get feedback now on a specific machine.

I have been looking at a 2005 500 ATP (all terrain pickup).

It seems to have all of the features we need to do the work needed at the cabin, the most being plowing a 600 ft gravel road (rolling hills). In doing some research, I have found that it only has 7" ground clearance and am a little concerned about this as it relates to plowing. I have no real experience with ATV and do not expect to do any serious extreme riding or mudding, however, will be using it on ice and sometimes in our lake shore area.

Any feedback on this machine would be greatly appreciated. If you do not have any experience with this machine, would you be afraid of 7" ground clearance? My main use is for chores at the lake, but will get it out on trails a little bit - just don't want to buy something if it really is going to be limited by the clearance...

Thanks in advance.

NFD

It shouldn't be a problem if you have a plow. Even without a plow as long as you're sensible about what you're trying to drive through you should be fine. The majority of the time someone gets stuck it's because they were asking for it. If you're still worried about it look into the Sportsman X2, my dad has had a couple of 'em now and they are pretty similar to the ATP but they come with IRS(I think they have 10" clearance).

I have the same machine you are looking at and love it. I plow at the cabin and the clearance has never been a problem. I have gotten it stuck a few times when on rides. In my case the clearance has not been the issue. My son has a Yamaha and he gets stuck in the same places I do. Maybe our problem is the gene pool rather than the clearance!!!

Thanks Mozy and Ron T.

I thought about the clearance issue and what I really plan on using it and decided as you indicate that it shouldn't be an issue. I also thought long and hard about the X2, I love the machine, but could not justify the added expense.

I picked up the machine this weekend as the deal seemed fair. Here is what I got:

2005 500 ATP, 838 miles and 95 hours

60" Glacier Tapered pow with snow deflector on top

2500# Warn winch

2 clear windscreens (one brand new)

tri-fold aluminum ramps

Package deal was $4,500. Based on what I have seen on hsolist, this seemed fair, but probably not the screaming deal we are always hoping for...

I look forward to bringing it up to the cabin this weekend, as will my neighbors who are probably tired of me giving the kids rides all around the yard.

Thanks again for the feedback.

NFD