• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Thanks

harvey lee

I have been fishing these catfish for the past three years and I owe a few thanks out there. Without naming everyone who has been such a big help with info and technique, thank for all that you have offered to get me going. I still have a ton to learn but you guys have been a huge help.

For all who have never fished for these catfish, try it out and if you need some help along the way, check in here and I know that many are more than willing to do about anything they can to help get one going.

You are all a unique bunch of fisherman and always willing to go the extra mile.

Thanks guys.

I didn't get into cats like I thought I would this year, just had the walleye bite going. I did make it to the get together and that was fun. I'm hoping to get more into it thought. Maybe sometime down the road I can hit one of you cat guys up for a ride or two to show me the ropes.

I'll second the thanks to all in these forums, I've learned more that I could quantify regarding not only catfishing, but fishing, and many peripheral subjects as well!

many heartfelt thanks to all!

I've definitely thanked my share of people over the years but the two guys I really owe a lot to are Dennis Steele and Fisher Dave. They helped me overcome the beginners learning curve which is a big step to consistancy and building confidence.

I seriously think all the knowledge we have of the MN River and Flathead Catfishing can be traced back to a couple key folks. It wasn't that long ago when cattin' wasn't "cool" and the river was an empty place, but there were a few guys out there fishing away.

Last year at the Cat's Incredible Tourney, I got to listen to to Dennis and Dean Opatz [PoorWordUsage] about the river back in the "good old days", when nobody was fishing the river and catching (3) 40 pounders a night out of one spot was a common occurrence. Its obvious we have a tremendous fishery but it makes you wonder what it was like years ago when these guys talk about the river not being like it used to be.

I'll throw in my 2 cents.

I have to thank everyone on this forum, but special thanks go out to those who have shown me the ins and outs of river fishing, night fishing, and flatheads first-hand -- the BPCL captains who have taken me out 9 times now in pursuit of "big money" flatties and channels. I have to take time to thank them for their generosity in sharing their boat with lowly riders every week.

Darren, John, Larry, Brian R, Chris, Opie, RiverRat (Andy), and the latest entry on the list, Shamu. Not surprisingly, pretty much all of the people I fish with regularly happen to be on that list. So, even though I didn't make a dime at BPCL last year catching big fish, I'd say it was more than worth jumping on board! Plus, tonight I have a good shot at catching a sweet turtle or other exotic species with yet another new captain, softshell Eddie, at the helm, and later this year I'll get to go out with fireman Andy.

Before sturgeon excursion 07 where I met Brian R and asked him about BPCL, I had never fished out of a boat on a river. In fact, that was the first time I had launched my boat where there wasn't a dock smile It's quite a change, since I now have a second beater boat specifically for the river, and I get out 3 times a week. Talk about addicting!

Thanks to everyone else on this forum for all of the info, the good stories, and the fun pictures. The next best thing to being on the river catching fish is reading about other people catching fish!

Without a doubt the BPCL solidified my love of the river and cats. I thank Brian (papagrump) for keeping this going throughout the years and running a class act league.

I would highly recommend anyone that wants a real taste of this Catfishing sickness to join the league as a rider. The entry fee you pay, pales in comparison to the knowledge you will learn by asking the right questions to the captains you fish with.

I'm not sure if I should really thank Aanderud or WWG.......ok I will. Thanks for turning me into a Zombie grin

I've definitely thanked my share of people over the years but the two guys I really owe a lot to are Dennis Steele and Fisher Dave. They helped me overcome the beginners learning curve which is a big step to consistancy and building confidence.

I seriously think all the knowledge we have of the MN River and Flathead Catfishing can be traced back to a couple key folks. It wasn't that long ago when cattin' wasn't "cool" and the river was an empty place, but there were a few guys out there fishing away.

I am in complete agreement with the above paragraphs. However I would also have to add Hanson to the list.

5 years ago when I first started reading the cat forum it was the Dennis Steele show. I admired the monster fish. Once Hanson got into he brought the enthusiasm that I could relate too. I enjoyed reading about hanson's "learning curves" and he had a great way to writing so even a beginner (newbie) could relate.

My first ever catfish outing on the Miss river was with Hanson & Fisher Dave (and several others). I felt like I was on a guided trip. Fisher Dave tied my weight & hook on (which were both borrowed from hanson). Hanson fitted my rod with one of his fancy glow stick. Somebody showed me how to hook a bullhead. I'm sure by the end of the night both hanson and Dave were tired of me asking 10,000 questions, but what a great experience I had.

It took me another year or so to finally catch my first flathead (thanks hanson) and I've been hooked ever since.

In all honestly thou, everybody that has posted on this forum in the past couple years deserves a thanks from me, so Thank You All!

I believe the first outing I had was with Brian R or Papa Grump. Dennis Steele was also a huge help for me. I agree with the 10,000 questions asked. This is why I also like to try and talk out all the beginners that I can to show them the little I know that will help them catch these great fish.

Keep in mind that I moderate a "rival" species forum grin, but I have to give credit where credit is due....you guys run a heck of a forum here with the contests and gatherings amd all and share a TON of info!

Pretty crazy how much work, skill, time and knowledge goes into it, despite the fact it's all the simplest form of fishing.... a hook, line and sinker!

I'll say thanks to Hanson & dtro for the offers extended to me this year and pushing me to hit the river. Got to feel the slime and the soft belly of my fisrt flattie! I have to get them onto a long skinny toothy slimer in return!

Thanks to all really, there's something from everyone in here.

Chris

PS: I also got to have a cool pic for an avatar now!

That's the best thing about this site. I have spent a lot of time with different members and at GTG's and have had a ball. Only did the cat thing once and that will change, but with other species, everyone on here is awesome and love to see others catch fish. I've been with Hanson and Dtro on ice GTG's and they will always take the time to show you what they are doing to trigger the bite or the best way to read your flasher. I'm sure they do the same for cattin.

Thanks to all on this site for helping people enjoy fishing more.

I am another that falls into the "newbie" category that never even gave catfish a second thought until late last year. Now it seems like that is all I want to go after, and the occasional sturgeon I guess. To think that I used to live only about 15 minutes fro the MN river and never fished it until now, and I now live over an hour away! Live and learn I guess. This site has been a great help both in the reading and willingness of others to show people the ropes. Big thanks from me to all those out there that contribute!

Dennis, Dark 30, Jim Hooper from the BPCL, and Dean Opatz where the ones I listened to and asked the 10,000 questions when I started fishing. Without them and all the friends here on FM ,well, I think everyone gets the picture.

Special thanks in my book goes to Dtro and the rest of the zombie crew , as just reading their posts has to help everybody learn something from this crazy river fishing, and provide some good humor.

Brian R

No big fish stories for me this year...not putting enough hours in. I did sit with Rushing last night down by St. Peter. Two small runs and no fish..it was only the second night I sat out past midnight (YIKES!)

Love the catfishin' lovefest thread! It's always good to thank those that helped you along the way. Gosh, it sounds like you could create am angler evolution tree, a who-taught-who kinda deal.

I'm thankful for those that have put me in their boats and I think the cat thing will only grow...although I stand by an earlier statement I made on this board-"I will never be tied down to just one fish species." I'll be moving closer to the river within the next 3-9 months so I'm thinking BP cat league is in the cards.

I learn from every time I fish, and each time I fish with someone. The problem is once I figure them out, the fish find a new way to stump me! Thanks to all! I have also picked up a thing or two on here.