Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Doop

Gym Rats or Workout Gurus

22 posts in this topic

I've decided it's time to get back in some sort of shape. I lost 3 family members to sudden heart attacks last year and that's enough reason for me to change my diet and routine.

I'm 31 and 6'3" 200 pounds. I think my ideal weight is about 180 or so. I teach and also coach football...so I'm fairly active throughout the day. I guess what I'm looking for are weekly workout routines/tips as well as dieting/eating healthy tips. My wife will also be benefiting from the advice anyone can offer. We'd like to be around as long as possible for our kids.

Anything anyone can offer is much appreciated. I'm well versed in a weight room...and with working out. I'm just curious to read what works well for others.

LOL.....I generally put together my own workouts...just wondering what everyone else does.

When eating healthy and working out...I feel so much better physically.

When I am in the workout mode, I try to run three days a week and lift on the off two. If you have some heart history in the family, you may want to talk to a doctor about lifting. Some friends of mine have the same issues and their doctors shyed them away from lifting, so now they do the cardio thing solely. Personally, low weights/high reps are much easier on my 40 year old joints. Running isn't so easy on my, but if I want to maintain a decent weight - 6'4"/230 lbs, then I need to run. Of course I would like to get the weight down to 220, but that dang beer (and your motivating ribs pics) get in the way.

A group of us were doing UFC style workouts for about a year. Those were brutal, but they really got you in quick shape. Of course, being in the law enforcement mine, your next knock down/drag out fight is only the next call away, so working out, or the motivation to do so isn't so hard. Naturally, strokes and heart issues are in my family history as well. I don't want to go through the surgeries my family members have had to endure.

Hey Doop, sounds like you know plenty already, but there's one thing that my wife & I agree on: developing a routine.

Me, I do cardio twice a week & weights twice a week. My wife does YMCA jumping around stuff (Body Pump or something) two-three times per week.

What we've found is the power of the rhythm. Once I'm going good, I'll go months without missing a beat. And when I go on week's vacation, or get really busy at work, it often doesn't affect just one rotation, or one day, but it bleeds into a week or two. Once I'm off the weights for two full weeks, it hurts to go back, which makes me relucant to go. Plus, the endorphins are, really, addictive. I start feeling mushy & tired & lazy if I stop working out for any length of time.

Only other thing is beware of those weight/height tables. I was 155 lbs. with a belly when I started working out years ago (with zero upper-body strength) & now I'm 165 lbs. & in much better shape. But if you believe the BMI index I'm fatter than before. Makes no sense.

My two cents.

What works best for me is lighter weights, more reps. I try to do 8 - 12 reps, stop for maybe a minute, maybe two at the most, and then move on to another 8 - 12 reps on a different muscle group. If you move to your next set of reps quickly, you also get the benefit of a cardiovascular workout in addition to a muscle workout.

Of course you won't be building much muscle mass with the increased reps, but at my age if I want mass, I order a pizza. laugh

Like the bodybuilders say, muscle is built in the kitchen, not the gym

I.E., what you eat is 90%, and the workout is 10%.

But that only applies to muscle building. Cardio is very important too. It is also where I lack. I am 6'0" 225lbs. Ideal weight is 180, but that just ridiculous, I don't want to be a stick. Muscle and some fat is much healthier. You will survive sicknesses longer with all that extra protein and energy hanging on you. And you wont be a wimp to boot.

Only other thing is beware of those weight/height tables. I was 155 lbs. with a belly when I started working out years ago (with zero upper-body strength) & now I'm 165 lbs. & in much better shape. But if you believe the BMI index I'm fatter than before. Makes no sense.

My two cents.

Makes sense to me. Every time I start working out again, I instantly put on 5-10 lbs. But that 5-10 lbs is muscle weight. I am a lot stronger, and that is what matters. The scale can decieve you.

It must be an apparition whistle!

I am feeling the Sonic Crunch right now grin

They opened a Sonic in ER and I have ate their like 4 times now in the last week, trying the must have menu. Plus add in the dinners my wife has had also.

I am not shy, I am around the 220 mark, 30 years old and about 6’. I could shed a couple pounds and feel better. I think this thread might be one of the best in this forum for some time now.

Thanks

P.S.

I have one free meal coming from Sonic, so I will start to cut back after this

grin

I get a kick out of the "ideal weight" thing. I know when I visit the doctor's office and look at that chart I can't help but wonder where those numbers came from. Honestly, if I weighed my "ideal" weight, I'd be nothing but skin and bone. I know from personal experience that I physically felt the best and was in the best shape of my life when I weighed about 20 lbs. heavier than the listed ideal weight.

We are fixated on weight in this country when we should be more concerned about health.

Bob

Doop,

I was in a similar state of mind as you at about that age. I suppose then I was about 220 (I am 6'). I am now 185, and have never felt better.

Over the last 8 years I have honed my exercise plan to be as efficient as possible. 3-4 runs a weeks in the 3 to 4 mile range. 2 weight workouts a week - I keep a fast pace and use moderate weights. Don't sit around in the gym - get there and get done quickly. Doctors usually steer you from weights because it has little cardio benefit - however it does have structural benefits and mental (that's important too).

Now, as someone already said, a proper diet is equally important in maintaining long term health. I experimented with a ton of different things, but found simple discipline to really solve most of my problems. I limit myself to fruits, vegetables, and grains only for breakfast and lunch. That's a pretty fair amount of carbs/sugars - but if you're committed to an exercise plan and execute it religiously, that stuff burns off quickly. Dinner is more about portion control than anything. You really need to push away from the table before you are stuffed. Limiting beef, pork, and pasta helps a ton. I've switched to skinless chicked and turkey, fish, and rice.

This whole thing is about commitment. Exercise can't be the event sacrificed during the day because things are busy. Other things need to be fit around it. If you can get to that point, you're winning the battle.

I'm 48, had my heart attack at 44. I've had a couple of stents implanted (plumbing work) and some electrical work done on my heart (electrophysiology study, ablation). I'm now very familiar with nutrition/exercise routines.

Nutrition. The AMA guidelines for nutrition are worth following. You've heard it all before, low fat, low salt, avoid processed foods (potato chips, store made bread, etc), eat more vegtables and fruits, drink at least 6 glasses of water a day. Or you can join Weight Watchers, which is a very healthy nutrition program, life style change agent.

Exercise. Cardio is king. The current recommendations for cardio work, especially if you are overweight and/or out of shape is 45min of cardio most days of the week - that means 45 minutes of elevated heart rate working your large muscles, five days per week. Weight work or mowing the lawn doesn't really count. If you're doing cardio 2 days a week you're not helping your heart. The good thing though is you can split the workout up. Say go for a good 20 minute walk (at a good pace) in the morning and a swim, bike ride, or treadmill in the evening. I go to YMCA every day after work and do 30 minutes on the treadmill or eliptical (catch the news on the TV at the gym), work on weights, and then spend 10-15 minutes on the treadmill to finish the workout. Having a properly elevated heart rate is important. I use a combination of the percieved exertion scale and a heart rate monitor to target mine. Some of the medications I take (beta blockers) keep my heart rate down (very down) so I find that a heart rate monitor works best for me in determining the level I should work out at. When I'm not feeling well I tone it down (i.e. my heart rate increases faster when I'm not feeling well so I get to target with less effort) and when I'm feeling good I crank it up a bit. Oh yeah, and you don't need to run on a treadmill. You can do the same work by cranking up the resistance. My knees won't stand me running so I walk fast with a steep incline - just as good as running. I worked this routine out while going through cardiac rehab.

As for weights, I'm not lifting to bulk up, just trying to improve my core and work my arms/shoulders to help cast muskie baits and fly fishing. So I'll vary the routine and use free weights some days, machines on another, use the exercise ball, bosu ball, and other apparatus. I do upper body work Mon & Wed , lower body Tues & Thur, and core everyday. Most Saturdays I go in and spend a couple of hours doing a total body routine. Since I'm a musician I also work my fingers and make sure I work out my wrists, neck, and other parts that tend to be overlooked. Given my history and my medications I did work with my doctors (GP, Cardiologist, Preventative Cardiologist) on planning a weight routine. I go with 2 sets of 12 reps (most things) where my muscles are hurting on reps 10-12. I specifically avoid going for max lifts. There is a small but real risk of throwing a clot when lifting. At least the gym has a portable defibulator if/when I get in to trouble.

Since I started this routine (weights started last winter) I've lost some weight, am much stronger, in less pain, and my diabetes is under better control.

Awesome guys...thank you.

The hard part for me is maintaining the diet. My wife doesn't like fish and I kinda get tired of eating skinless grilled chicken after a while smile Obviously a variety and switching it up will help you stick with it longer. So your ideas are very much welcomed!

Here's my .02

I don't like runnin - hard on the knees. Start biking a lot or doing an elliptical or a rowing machine for your cardio. Erg (rowing machines) are great for shoulder/back/leg workout as well

If you do some light weight, high rep lifting with very little breaks inbetween sets (supersetting) and do cardio 3 or 4 times a week, you'll be fine. Diet is the key

Try eating natural fats like peanut butter, avocado, cheese, etc. Stay away from processed foods - for example, instead of kraft singles, buy raw milk cheese. Or instead of iceberg lettuce, eat spinach.

I eat almost all wild fish and game, they have much better nutritional content than corn-fed, antibotic-laced beef or farm raised fish.

Basically, if you cut down on processed foods high in fat and sugar, and eat more natural foods, your body will have to put more energy into breaking them down. Plus it gets more beneficial nutrients. Then you can get much better results out of your workout

Ray has shined the light on commitment. Not every day at the gym is going to be your best but you must show up. Never stray from your routine and everything else will follow.

For as much of a glutton as I am, I can maintain by jogging every morning upon waking and hitting the weights every week day after work.

Boy, it's funny to me that people try their hardest to get the easiest jobs possible and then spend their free time and extra money to go to a gym. smile

I don't have a problem whatsoever, but it seems to me that losing weight would be one of the hardest things to do. Good luck and stick to whatever works for you.

For myself I'll just keep getting paid to get a workout. wink

I agree Cardio is the key I switched over to low impact methods like the Treadmill which is my favorite right now.

I usually do 40 minutes of walking at 4.5 MPH using a 6 percent grade/incline.

I have yet to find a Cat-fishermen in better shape then I and most are 10-20 years younger..... grin.. Granted Cat Guys are in the poorest of physical condition compared to other specie's targeted.... grin

I hear you Roofer. Of all the jobs I have had in my lifetime the two most favorites are the most physical, farming and logging. The farming I do as a part-time...okay...hobby. The logging I did in Northern MN off and on for nearly 10 years and I can honestly say I was never in better physical condition. Strong as a bull ox, lean, fast on my feet, good endurance, and never so much as a sniffle during that entire time. I'm not kidding! I was never ill. I figured it was because I put water through my body so fast that it was constantly flushed of any virus before it could get a foothold.

Bob

used to run. killing my joints. so i walk 45 minutes 5 days a week. I used to lift heavy when i was younger and then real heavy in the army, but its tough in your 40's so i do weights, full body, twice a week, 2 sets per part.

i dont care how much you work out, if you still eat too much, you will gain fat weight. even light beer will get you

I run marathons, so I run a lot. I do most of my running on grass or dirt trails and not on pavement. It makes a world of difference on the joints, and it's fun running through the woods versus on the treadmill. I also do high repetition, light weight workouts and also my wife's pilates workouts. Pilates using the workout ball is something new for me, but I really like it as it's a great workout without the stress on the body.

GoBlueM touched on a huge difference maker for me too - try to stay away from the processed foods and switch to eating more natural foods and you will notice a world of difference.

I run marathons, so I run a lot. I do most of my running on grass or dirt trails and not on pavement. It makes a world of difference on the joints, and it's fun running through the woods versus on the treadmill. I also do high repetition, light weight workouts and also my wife's pilates workouts. Pilates using the workout ball is something new for me, but I really like it as it's a great workout without the stress on the body.

GoBlueM touched on a huge difference maker for me too - try to stay away from the processed foods and switch to eating more natural foods and you will notice a world of difference.

can never go wrong with eating natural foods. fish and game grin