• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Landscaping question

Scoot

I'm going to do some landscaping work this Fall. I'll be putting in some curb-type edging, putting down some weed proof barrier, putting in plants/shrubs, and putting in rock. My question is regarding the weed proof barrier: what should I use? I know some people use the woven black material and some simply use plastic. Is there a reason to use one over the other? Any pros and cons to each?

Thanks,

Scoot,

If you are planting anything in there that you are going to have to water I would go with the fabric because it lets water through. We put the plastic down in one area of our house and you have to put the hose right at the base of the plant for it to get any water otherwise it just runs to the edges.(kind of a pain is the a$$) thats my recommendation.

Ok I get this question regularly. Use the fabric or felt. The plastic tears easily when moving rock around on it. Also it allows no water to your plants. The fabric will allow a small amount of dirt/sediment to wash thru it while nothing will wash thru plastic.

Dont get the stuff from the big box hardware stores because its labeled as fabric but its cheap rubber with tiny holes in it.

Go to your local hardware store or landscape supplier and use the a quality fabric. 3 oz minimum. A good quality fabric will last 20+ years.

I agree with Quetico, the fabric is not good from the big box stores. I can grow grass just as good on that then I can my yard where I used it. I used plastic on everything else. Gives me a reason to have a beer when I water the plants!!!

Good suggestions from everyone. Unfortunately, 2 years ago we put the cheapo fabric down, then I shoveled and hauled rock all around our house. Now days, I have to spray and pull weeds that grows through the fabric in the rock. What a pain!

Also when adding rock try to keep it free of rock dust and dirt weeds will grow in that and root down through fabric, even the good stuff. Plastic is better for keeping weeds out over time dirt and sediment build up then you get the problem I mentioned before with fabric. A good plastic, 6mm thickness, will prevent weeds from rooting into ground. Cut larger holes around plants for water.Ive pulled up alot of fabric over the years and it is not fun.