• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

circle hooks....what size?

Ryan Becklund

I am looking at ordering some hooks for cats. I am wondering what brands and hook size that you all use so I don't order some and they are too small. It seams to me that just because it says 5/0 that hey vary in size and style from brand to brand. I have some eagle claw 5/0 that are good for channels but a little small for flatheads. Anyone have any ideas for me they would be greatly appreciated!

Ryan

When I use to use circles, I would use 8/0 and some 10/0 hooks. If I'm fishing with smaller live bait, then I will downsize to the 8/0.

I have had good luck with the Gamagatsu brand hooks also. Bob at Moore's Bait & tackle carries a very nice supply of these hooks too. Bob ships his orders out very fast too.

Great guy and shop.

http://www.mooresbait.com/

You are correct, circle hooks are not created equal, so it’s hard to recommend a particular size as it varies.

Whichever you decide on, try to stick to a lighter wire. It seems that the lighter wire will penetrate better/easier. Just need to be careful not to go too light though as it will then straighten out.

I like to use a 5/0-9/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle.

Based upon some things I’ve seen this year though, I’m going to start experimenting with some lighter wire Kahle hooks.

with circle hooks I usually just size it to my bait, not the fish I'm after. Of course a side-effect of using larger bait for larger fish means that I want a bigger hook for bigger fish as well. But if you're using big bait for channels, you want to make sure your hook has a wide enough gap to manage the bait and still be able to hook a fish. Just the same, if the bait you are using for flats is kind of small, feel free to downsize the hook a bit.

Quote:
(If you wish to use Circle Hooks for Flatheads, most of us don't)

Funny, we talked about this last night grin The term "Hanson would kill me" was brought up.

Quote:
Gamakatsu Octopus Circle 10/0 for Flathead Cats

Quote:
I like to use a 5/0-9/0 Gamakatsu Octopus Circle.

What I have been told (By Bob) and what I have found, the largest octi-circle gamakatsu makes is a 8/0. Other brands do make bigger up to 10/0.

Last night, I dropped to a 6/0 from an 8/0 and started getting fish to shore.

I have seen circles up to 15/0 but even then I wonder about the hook gap on a decent sized bait. I do however use them on channels with cutbait. I typicall use that 2/0 up to a 7/0 depending on the size of cutbait I am using.

Have you Flatty guys tried the Gami Big River hooks yet?

big_rivr.jpg

They come in 10 and 12 O/T only. A very serious hook. They are a cross between the circle and octopus and you can SLAM them home if need be.

A VERY sturdy hook. South America Kitty proven, tough as heck, very sharp. You could hang a deer by one and skin it.