• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what lb trolling motor

gbc

I just purchased a 87 mirrocraft and would like to get a bow mount trolling motor. Boat is aluminum 16.3 ft. long. Anybody know what lb. I would need?

55 lb will work in all but the windiest of conditions. If you want to hold position in high wind on Mille Lacs or LOTW, you'd probably want a dual battery setup with higher thrust. If not, then the 55 lb should work great.

I agree with sandmann,

Go with as much as you can afford, you don't want to get a on good walleye bit in the wind and not be able to hold the spot or burn up your batteries in the morning having to run near max in the wind.

I agree with the others, go as big as you can afford for those times when you need it. I think 55 lbs is as small as you'd want to go unless you're planning to never fish in the wind.

It will be more efficient for your batteries if you go with a 24 volt motor, and if you can run your motor on a lower setting. Those are other reasons you might want to think about to go with a bigger thrust motor.

If you have other quesitons I'd be happy to help. You can check out the motors I carry and the pricing at Pro Fishing Supply Bow Mount Motors. You need to click the Add To Cart button to see the price you'd pay because I sell below the manufacturer's minimum price.

I have a Alumacraft Navigator 16.5, pretty high sides, pretty heavy. I debated on a 55 lbs versus 70 lbs Minnekota and decided on the 70 lbs. I am very happy I went that way as I've been out in some big wind / waves and I was able to hold my position with plenty of juice leftover even after a day on the water. I also opted for the longer (54") shaft so I could set it really deep if I needed to - if you are in big waves your bow mount moter will lift out of the water if it is too short. Only negative is I have two batteries up front = more weight and less storage. All in all the positives far out weigh (no pun intended) the negatives. Good luck on your purchase.

I have a 55# bow mount in my 16' Alumacraft. It's been more than enough power for what I need it for. I don't hit the big lakes, but I have had it in some pretty windy conditions and I've been able to keep my position without an issue. I did get the 54" shaft so that I can get it deep enough in the water for those windy days.

A body of mine has a 55lb and it alwaly dies faster than it should. I would suggest going witha 24v system his is a 12v and the next step is a 70 thats 24v with the extra powr you wont have be up on ten to move so the battery should last longer. He uses it on a 175 bass tracker.

well my rig came with only a 32 lb. older minnkota. it is a 14' alumacraft and the electric doesnt move it too much. i can get a deal on a 46 lb. do you guys think thats enough to get her going quicker.