Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bklimek

Dead Trolling Motor?!?!

7 posts in this topic

I was going to jump to a nearby spot so instead of turning on the outboard I cranked the trolling motor (Minn Kota Maxxum) up to 100. After traveling a little ways it stopped on me. I figured I'd go to the back of the boat (Ranger Fisherman 681 1999) and flip the power switch thats in the battery storage area and that the trolling motor would work again. Well it didn't and since then I've flipped the switch numerous times hoping that it would work but it hasn't. I've looked at the fuse cotrol box and there doesn't seem to be a fuse linked to the trolling motor. I'm at a loss. Is there a fuse somewhere else that I would need to replace or what?!?!?

Thanks,

Brad

On the all-terrain minn kotas that we use there is an inline fuse fuse between the plugin and the battery, I have noticed that ours blow when the customers crank them up to 100% just like you mentioned. Our fuses are easy to get to, just wish they wouldn't blow like that.

Yeah I don't see an in-line fuse of any kind.

Mine always blows if I run over eight and I have an inline fuse, but that doesn't blow. I let the motor sit for a few minutes, sometimes it takes unplugging the motor and plugging it in a few times to get it to work and it resets. Try doing that.

Yeah I tried that. I actually was out of town for two weeks and didn't have a chance to tinker with it before I left town so it has sat for awhile and I've plugged and unplugged. I'll have to mess with it more and figure out where or if the power stops anywhere down the line.

I agree with your idea, you need to get in there with a tester and see if power is getting to your motor or not so you can identify where the problem is, in the wiring (ie fuse or breaker) or in the motor itself. Good luck getting it figured out.

I figured it out after 2 hours last night. There were 2 40 amp fuses stuck back behing one of the batteries. One of them popped out? I'm back in the game!! Thanks everybody!

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Single payer is in our future whether we like it or not. No sense in fighting it. If the Republicans fail to do anything meaningful with health care, Democrats will fire up the base again with single payer and the Republican run will be short lived. 
    •   All politicians are narcissists, some just more than others and they also like the monetary benefits that go with the position. Trump actually stated at one time he didn't really want to be President, but he was the only one who could do the job.
    •   You might get an official "Make America Great Again" cap. (made in China, of course)      
    •   Then what? Do I get a prize? 
    •   I don't think Trump really wants the job either, and I'll put Obama, Hillary and Gary Johnson in that category too. Sure they all wanted to be president but none of them actually wanted to do the job.
    •   Why don't you show us YOURS then?
    • I was referring to the spool for the ez ducer icing up not your spools on your rods...
    • I'm in 100th place overall after three events. I always suck making picks on Toledo Bend though
    • Well another year in the books for us on Winnipeg.  We fished Thursday-Saturday, just left right away Sunday morning without fishing.  Accessed out of Warner.  Thursday access was great, but by Sunday morning, it was sloppy with some deep ruts and puddles.  Lots of trucks parked out along the road.  All water depths measured from the bottom of ice.  Water was dirty straight out from the mouth, but clear out deep and farther west.  Eagles nest was dirty at 11.5fow but clear at 12.5fow.  Seemed to be an "umbrella effect" with the dirty water and the river pushing it straight out.   Thursday- We went straight north of Warner about 4 miles and started in 17fow.  Only caught a couple, then moved east to the ridge in 19fow.  Caught a few more small ones and one guy had a 25"er.  From there we tried a few spots out deep, 22-24fow.  Very slow out deep, only caught 2-3 in the couple hours we were out there.  Mid afternoon we headed south to the ridge in 20fow, pretty slow again.  In the evening we moved back NW to the spot on the ridge we were at in the morning and had a better evening bite there.  I had a nice one get off halfway up, but other than that all smaller ones.  Every spot we tried we caught at least 1-2 fish, but it was a grind.  Ended the day with 26 fish between 4 guys but only one over 20".  Best baits were pink/silver flutter spoons and purple rattle baits.   Friday-  Started out by the ridge again in 19fow caught 5-6 in that spot.  Friday started pretty slow for us.  By the later part of the day we were on the North side of the ridge in 19.5fow, right were the ridge turned to go North.  We found better fishing about 150-200 meters off the ridge.  Ended up sitting on one smaller area for the rest of the day and did fairly well.  Ended up with close to 60 fish between 4 guys on the day, with the biggest coming right at the end, a nice 27.5"er.  Best baits were purple rattle baits.  Gold rattle baits did fairly well earlier in the day.   Saturday- We woke up early and tried in 16fow right at first light, only marked a few with no biters.  Moved out to the North side of the ridge and same thing, managed to catch a few but only after going through the whole tackle box to find something they liked.  Moved about a half mile to the east and sat in the shelters to get out of the wind until about 330.  Had a few bigger schools of fish come through, at one point 2 of the guys caught 7 fish in 5 minutes.  The bite seemed to get better as the day went on.  We moved back to the west about half a mile to where we were Friday evening.  The bite there was good and we figured out that the fish wanted blue and silver rattle baits and blue and silver spoons.  We ended up catching 20-30 fish in that one spot from 330-dark.  In that time we had a 26", 26.5", and a 27".  So if we count that 27.5" from Friday, that was 4 fish 26" or bigger out of that one little spot.     Ice was in great shape.  Travel was very easy.  Crossing the ridge on ATVs wasn't that bad at all, used the ramps to cross only 2 times and found other spots to cross without ramps.  All 3 days the bite seemed to get better as the day wore on.  Most consistent bite for us was 200pm or later in 19-20 fow on the North side of the ridge.  What the fish wanted to bite on seemed to change by the hour.   I think we will be back next year, but only 1 trip, not 2.  

• Everyone is gouging the people.
  • Our Sponsors