• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Dead Trolling Motor?!?!

bklimek

Question

I was going to jump to a nearby spot so instead of turning on the outboard I cranked the trolling motor (Minn Kota Maxxum) up to 100. After traveling a little ways it stopped on me. I figured I'd go to the back of the boat (Ranger Fisherman 681 1999) and flip the power switch thats in the battery storage area and that the trolling motor would work again. Well it didn't and since then I've flipped the switch numerous times hoping that it would work but it hasn't. I've looked at the fuse cotrol box and there doesn't seem to be a fuse linked to the trolling motor. I'm at a loss. Is there a fuse somewhere else that I would need to replace or what?!?!?

Thanks,

Brad

6 answers to this question

On the all-terrain minn kotas that we use there is an inline fuse fuse between the plugin and the battery, I have noticed that ours blow when the customers crank them up to 100% just like you mentioned. Our fuses are easy to get to, just wish they wouldn't blow like that.

Mine always blows if I run over eight and I have an inline fuse, but that doesn't blow. I let the motor sit for a few minutes, sometimes it takes unplugging the motor and plugging it in a few times to get it to work and it resets. Try doing that.

Yeah I tried that. I actually was out of town for two weeks and didn't have a chance to tinker with it before I left town so it has sat for awhile and I've plugged and unplugged. I'll have to mess with it more and figure out where or if the power stops anywhere down the line.

I agree with your idea, you need to get in there with a tester and see if power is getting to your motor or not so you can identify where the problem is, in the wiring (ie fuse or breaker) or in the motor itself. Good luck getting it figured out.

I figured it out after 2 hours last night. There were 2 40 amp fuses stuck back behing one of the batteries. One of them popped out? I'm back in the game!! Thanks everybody!