Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shango

What's Working Now?- August

25 posts in this topic

Jig worming deep weed lines. Frogs in the slop. Caught probably 20 in 2 hours on a west metro lake last Sunday and missed another 10 blow ups. Man I love frog fishing. Docks producing for others but have not hit too many myself. Caught a 4.11 pounder in 32 fow fishing a swim jig down 3 feet so you never know what might work. Good luck and tight lines.

I've been dropping worms on the weedlines and running my ribbit frogs through the top. They've been working GREAT for me!

I've been doing well with a drop shot the last three days that I've been out. Two keys have been finding a sharp drop with a weedline and also finding visible schools of sunfish hanging out in the top half of the water column in the same areas. Smaller 4" straight tail worms have been good. Green w/ chart. tails (looks just like those sunfish) in clear water and junebug in dirty water.

For me as of late..

In order of fish caught and size..

Drop Shot

Jig Pig

Crankbait

few fish on Caroilina rig

few fish on Deitz Rig.

Hiya -

For LMB, it's deep crankbait time in my neck of the woods. Might be my favorite way to fish bass. Walk a crank through the coontail, and the fish smoke it so hard it rolls the spool back on my old no instant anti-reverse Speed Spools, and you can hear it hit the anti-reverse dog...*click* - gah, I love it... smile Been following up with a jigworm or drop shot on some spots when I find a school, but for the most part just running the weedlines and finding pods of fish here and there, mainly on deep coontail points.

For smallies, it's kinda the dog days. Lots of fish suspended and a lot of deeper fish. Rocks in 18-22 feet with a drop shot or Carolina Rig, or strolling jigworms or jerk shads for suspended fish. Have caught some fish drop shotting to suspended fish too, which is kinda neat. Can watch it all on the graph so it's kinda like ice fishing. Feels kind of weird fishing a drop shot 20 feet down over 60 feet of water, but it's workin... Some fish on grubs and topwaters early and late around the rock reefs, but seems like a lot of the fish are out to sea on the lakes I fish.

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Ike -

North country. Don't fish in the Metro much - usually too busy during the week to get out much so I keep my boat at the cabin most of the time and go up there most every weekend. Working on a solution to the boat thing as we speak, but the Minister of Finance has this ridiculous notion that two boats is enough... smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Hey Rob,

We still need to carry out our plan to address your metro fishing needs! Summer is flying by!

Drop me a line when time permits......

Chris

I've done well with plastics lately. Fishing 4-6 fow on the weed edges and pulling them out from under the pads. Seems they prefer the darker colors (4" black and purple has been great for me!). That's my 2 cents, but I'm excited to go try a frog now!

Outdside weed edge... outside weed edge... outside weed edge! The schools of bass have been cruising those outside lines and are looking to eat! Fishing has been consistent the last few weeks on the outside weed edge in 8-14 feet of water. Jig worms have been hot, as have stick worms. 3/16oz Title Shot jigs have been my go-to and I prefer something darker in color when looking towards your choice of plastic. Don't be afraid to snap-jig either. Also catching some fish on drop-shot if you can stay over them. Also take a look at the milfoil bouys... those underwater weed points are holding fish too. Also any inside turns along the weed line will stop bass in their tracks!

Here are a couple pictures from the last couple weeks out there...

DanTerryBass.jpg

ScottDarrenBass.jpg

A lot of excellent fishing yet ahead of us! Keep chasing those fish and move until you find a productive spot!

Couldn't coax anything but northerns on the deep edge with a jig worm so we moved to a rock/weed area and fished that in 4-8'. Water temp was 76-78.

Picked up a couple dozen, all on a shakey head jig with a watermelon/creme senko fished wacky-style. Everything was 12-18" with a 21" to top it off.

Also learned that it can be worth going back to a spot. We hit this area, about the size of half a football field, three times. Have to do that in the future.

Even more fun when you see the big bass boats go right over your spot where you've been catching them all day!

DB

i was fishing this weekend and got everythign deep. 90% of the fish that i caught were on a Jig worm with a senko wacky style.

Topwater! Pretty much much everywhere too.

Texas rigged 6"-10" worms dark colors and texas rigged beasts the big ones all weighted. on deep weed edges. Not a ton of fish just better ones. alot of 2-3.5lbs. Jig and trailers once in awhile too.

I have been catching fish on rocks a little ways out from the weedlines. Most rockpiles don't have active fish on them, but when you find one that does it can be awesome. Other than that the outside weedlines have a lot of fish. Just have to keep searching to find the big ones.

Good luck!

im with craig i have got 80 % of my fish from docks with beasts t-rigged or wacky senkos and the 20% is deep weedlines with shaky and jig worms

I had a good outing last week on docks, then tried it again on Sat and skunked. Both of us were skunked. It's been a while since that happened. They (bass)won that battle but the war is not over.

Can someone post a picture of a good weedless Jig Worm setup. I have tried a couple of different configurations and always have trouble, but Im new to fishing Jigs and want to learn how to do it "the right way" or at least a good way. Thanks guys!

Latley Ive found fish on chatter baits in the open weed flats and at the weed edge in 6 - 10 ft of water on senkos.

Look for the Title Shot series of jigs. They are pretty weedless and work great with a variety of plastics...

Hiya 74 -

Even when I'm jigworming right up next to or in the weedline, I RARELY use a weedless jighead. I use a simple, exposed-hook mushroom head like a Northland Jigworm head 90% of the time. With fairly light spinning gear (I use 8# mono for most of my jigworming, and will go down to 6 at times) the exposed hook means a much higher hooking percentage.

The key to keeping the bait relatively weedless is to use the lightest jighead you can. I use a 3/32 oz most of the time, and I'll go up to a 1/8 only if it's windy. With a little practice, the light jighead lets you tickle the jigworm through the weeds without hanging up too much. If it lands on a weed stalk, it'll usually just rest there rather than rocketing right down into the weeds. If it hangs up a little, give it a little shake on tight line, and it'll usually come free. If not, a sharp snap of the wrist will usually pop it loose, unless you're in stringy junk weeds (which even 'weedless' jigs don't come through cleanly). In cabbage or coontail though, a light exposed hook head works great. The jig shaking or popping off a weed stalk then falling is a tremendous trigger. The key though is the lightest jighead you can get away with. A lot of guys use a heavier head so they can feel it, but you really don't want to most of the time. Just fish the weight of the jig, and you'll feel the weeds, and fish hitting, if not always the jighead as it moves along. Like I said, it takes some practice but it's sure worth it.

If you DO want a weedless type jig, and can step up a little in the tackle dept (I use 10# mono or 10/2 Fireline at times in real thick stuff or if I'm dealing with big fish) the Northland Jungle-Lock jigs are great, so are the Title Shot jigs Matt mentioned, and I like the new Northland Shaky Head jigs quite a bit too, especially for small finesse worms.

HTH

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

Wow i can tell this is going to make a world of difference already. I was using much bigger jig heads than these with more of the football head profile. I can tell already that these setups will put more fish in my boat. Thanks Guys!