• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Bunting?

B. Amish

If his leg still in the air as he is bunting, its legal. A lot of batters stand back in the box and can tak a couple of short steps to get to front of the box, giving the impression they are out.

G.C.

I just watched a few of our bunts in slow motion from recent games and your right they are not technically out of the box but in full speed it looks they are.

The batters box is a lot bigger then you think also.

I love Tivo!

Good catch Pierbridge, however it is more difficult to lay down the bunt when your "doing the dance" as I used to call it. Also you get to far out in front to try for that extra step, the ball will find you and not the bat.

G.C.

If I were carlos Gomez and thier is someone on first I would bunt till the second srtike ever time up. bunting is for advancing a runner and hoping for a confused defense so both can be on base.

I umped baseball and softball for 18 years and the rule reads the foot must be in contact with the plate or completely outside of box in contact with the ground at the time of contact with the ball. This is a plate ump call but unless the pitch is low and they step on plate or in front of plate you cannot see it. A plate ump is watching the ball and the first defense to a bunt is a high fastball. I've made the call a couple of times when they have stepped on plate to bunt low pitch but beyond that the catcher will usually block your view. In the majors they allow more leeway with this and balks. If the box lines have been wiped out then there is huge leeway.

This is one of those rules that unless you grossly violate it, it doesn't get called. Like DrKen said, the plate ump has alot to focus on, if someone complains about a batter being out of the box he probally won't even look.

As for Gomez, I feel he trys to bunt to much, but he also swings at too many bad pitches so.....?