• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Tip of the Week

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will agree with Bear55. I had to wade across a rocky, very sharp rocky, stream three times on Sunday. Oh yeah carrying, my bow, backpack, stand, ladder sticks, pruner and my knee high rubber boots. That water is chilly.

Aw, your what hurts? wink

The landowner says we can drive the truck across even now - just don't open the doors. grin

If you are not still practicing your form and shooting you should be!!!!

Far to often we practice hard in summer and let things slide as the season moves on, I have actually ramped up my shooting the past couple of weeks. It only makes sense to practice even more when the peak of the rut nears so get out there and shoot!

We set a couple new stands on Friday & practiced shooting the 3D target from both of them where we expected the deer to come right then & there. Helps your confidence to make a shot you've already made. These stands actually overlook a lawn, so scent in the grass is not really an issue.

Falling into a swampy muck filled hole is only funny when its the other guy.

Ain't that the truth. grin

Now that the weather is getting cooler, you may want to consider backing off on the poundage of your bow a little. A long sit on a cold evening makes that bow a whole lot harder to pull back. I found that out the hard way.

Also, with the rut kicking in, don't overlook hunting during the middle of the day or even an all day sit.

Make sure to go grab your bow right now and check every screw and bolt on the thing and make sure EVERYTHING is tight. With you shooting your bow and driving with it back and forth from hunting things might of loosened up a bit since last time.

Somehow in the middle of me practicing my sight slipped just a bit because the bolt was loose causing me to shoot a foot low on every pin. If I hadn't of noticed I'd be out there hunting right now and could of shot right under a mounter at 20 yds.

Man I'd be sick, if this post helps 1 person it's worth it. Check your sights, rest, peep, loop, broadheads, ect, ect.

Better to find out now then in the field!!

Here is a tip for ya... You can learn from my mistake.

I had a buck chasing a doe a few nights ago about 100 yards out, they turned and started running towards me. I drew back as they kept coming. When the doe got about 20 yards out I stopped hey by making a bleat sound. Everything sounds perfect, except for the fact that when I stopped her I was not looking through my peep yet. By the time I found my spot to shoot at the small buck bumped her again and I missed my opportunity.

Moral of the story... Be on your spot and ready to shoot (looking through your peep) before you stop the deer. Good luck.

Late season and early spring are a good time to find next years archery buck, get out there and scout!!! Even if you think you know your land inside and out it doesn't hurt to take a walk, you might be surprised at what you find.

Look for large tracks and take note of any bucks that have survived the rifle season. It's also a great time to find a new honey hole, which is most often an overlooked or hard to get to location with zero hunting pressure. Dive into those bedding areas to learn more about them and find new land (public or private) to hunt next season. It is also nice to be able to go anywhere and do anything without worrying about messing up your area with scent.

It's a pretty good feeling to find big rubs and fresh (big) tracks in an area after rifle season, it gives you that much more confidence going into next season. Now is the time to learn about an area, not in the late summer or fall.

Great tip, a meat market gift certificate or some other nice gesture will pay huge dividends. If you're a landowner reading this who has a crop damage problem due to nuisance deer and enjoys ribeyes and racks of ribs on the grill, contact me - I'll handle it! grin

I now make it a point to practice shooting out of the tree stands I use. I missed a deer by a good five-seven feet and I mean MISSED. Thought it was my bow. Then I did it again????? crazy Switched tree stands and didn't feel as comfortable as my others and it really messed up my form bad. I don’t need to be up real high, just able to shot out of it and get the feel. Both times it didn't feel right. Just glad I didnt wound one. It was like what the $#%^, they were that bad.

Spring Tip: Now is the best time all year to be out scouting! Cool temps, no bugs, no leaves, and all the deer sign looks just like it did last fall. You can easily make out trails, rubs, scrapes and beds and really get a full picture of last falls rut and the lay of the land.

Now it may very well be the case that the buck that left a lot of sign behind was shot last year, however if you can find a bucks core area he uses that area for a reason and another buck may take over so a good spot can pay off for years to come.

I put in about 3 hours myself Sunday, no sheds but I found another little honey hole back in a swamp. Nice rubs everywhere and several beds with a lot of hair in them, I will probably have to pay this place a visit or two this fall.

Still quite a bit of snow in some places - my legs are sore today!

I was up in turtle lake sat. morning looking for sheds and toms, lots of snow, my thighs are still sore!! Gotta get in shape after this long winter of sitting on a frozen lake.

Planning to do some scouting turkeys/sheds/honeyholes myself this Saturday. Been waiting for the snow to be pretty well gone. Sprained one ankle really bad about a month ago & it's still not very good on uneven surfaces. Got to start building it back up though. Surprised but some of the deer still seem to be yarded even though the fields are pretty much bare now.

I always start shooting at least every other day after July 4th!

Order new arrows, check string for wear, check all nuts, bolts, screws incase they are loose. Check string loop. Get a video camera and set it on a tripod and record yourself shooting arrows to see if you have proper form.

Went to the range on monday shot pretty good little low at 40 still but not bad, went yesterday first 2 shots good then total miss to the left third shot, i look at my rest and the bolt came unloose and my rest was way out of line, if i only had tightened everything before hand laugh