• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Archery Tip of the Week

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the start of the hunting season as far as getting prepared which is July for me!

I just scouted new land to hunt last saturday and trying to determine how many treestands to put up. And put up no tress-passing signs as the land owner and I found 2 tree stands that aren't supposed to be there.

Gonna put some trail camera's around some trails too!

Also started to shoot my bow and get new arrows! Any good bow hunter should shoot as much as possible aspecially now till season starts. I also shoot alot during the season to stay sharp!

I just got my camera's out a few weeks ago and checked my stands yesterday and found that some one stold my climbing sticks and put a lock on one of MY stands. Looks like I have company in my woods.

mr

Finlander,

I was thinking about that but with my luck I'll come back and my camera would be gone too. But what do you do once you have a picture, doens't mean you can actually identify the guy. If this continues I may have to go that far but I'll see how this summer progresses.

thanks,

mr

you could do what I do with my camera's on public land. I use my climbing deer stand and put my camera's 20' up in the air. Being that they are infared, it is very unlikely that anyone sees them, and if they do, they have quite some troubles getting them down.

Now is the time to get all your gear ready!

Wash all your clothes in scent free soap, wash all equipment that goes into the woods with you also! And apply scent eliminator spray on them too and I mean everthing, bow, arrows, fanny pack, pull up ropes, tree steps, etc.

Another thing I spent time on last night was practicing gettin into your fall arrest system, (safety vest or harness) as these can be difficult to put on in the morning when getting ready to go out to your stand.

I've been guilty of not putting them on because I wasn't used to getting them on because of all the loops, etc.

Be safe this year and practice putting on your safety harness! wink

Tip of the week!

If you haven't started shooting by now, start shooting!

It's never too soon to get in tune!

That's a poem!

Just to expand on this a little also practice shooting from different positions and those funny angle shots. You should shoot just fine if you bend at the waist when shooting from an elevated position but practice shooting from your stand height anyway just to be safe, you never know if your form is off until you try. Practice with your hunting clothes on, practice shooting sitting down, even practice other funny positions. You never know when a deer is going to catch you off guard and you might have to make a fairly quick shot without being able to get into perfect position.

Great tip. Many get up in a tree and have never practiced high angle shots.

Yep they can be tricky, my closest shot was about 7 yards, it was also my first deer with a bow so I was a little nervous about the shot. I drilled it but I would hate to have to shoot much closer then that, especially if you are up around 20-25ft in a tree.

Meat-Run, I would put a bigger chain and heavier duty lock on your stand over the lock that the intruder put on your stand. Or you could cut off the lock that was put on your stand and hang it at the bottom of the tree with a little message for your visitor. Maybe he'll get the clue and bring back your climbing sticks also. On the other side, be glad he didn't take the stand. Maybe he thinks that you're on his land for some strange reason.

Another Tip:

Listen and feel for change in your bow.

While I was practicing and everything was going good, I just noticed something different, the shots were hitting the target good.

But something did not seem right.

Brought the bow back home and had my wife watch and see if she could see something, sure enough while pulling the bow to full draw we noticed the cable slide was slightly hanging up. Made a slight jump in the draw and did cause the arow to dolphin slightly upon release, the arrows had time apparently to make the recovery before hitting the target.

Also I tore off the mole skin that came with the rest I bought. Had to go get some more to replace that too.

This is a new bow this year, happens to new equipment too.

Mark

I haven't tried this yet, but I do plan on trying it this year.

Drill holes in a section of PVC pipe. The length will vary depending on the width of your stand.

o o o o o o o o o

Zip tie the pvc pipe to the front edge of your stand.

Put fresh braches in the holes to blend or camoflauge your outline when sitting in the stand. Oak braches will hold it's leaves longer than other tree types.

I like to use milkweed or cattail seeds to check the wind from my stand to see where my scent is going. These things can pretty much float on air and let you know what is happening around you. Just because the wind is out of a certain direction doesn't mean that everything travels in a strait line. Often I have found that swirling wind, terrain features, and especially thermals can play a big role. You will be amazed at some of the twists and turns these things make in the air, right along side your scent.

I usually pick them around this time of year and let me dry out for a while, then put them in some kind of container or bag them for the hunt. Whatever you do don't just throw them in your bag because they will explode on you and you will have all that fluff everywhere.

I just got my camera's out a few weeks ago and checked my stands yesterday and found that some one stold my climbing sticks and put a lock on one of MY stands. Looks like I have company in my woods.

mr

Meat-run, I had one of my stands literally shot out of a tree last rifle season. They shot through the cable lock I had attached,and 1/2 way through a ratcheting strap I used as a secondary attaching strap.

The people were smart enough not to leave any shell casings lying around. All DNR could do was shake his head in sympathy.

Hope you can catch this guy.

Osok,

I totally forgot about this post. Did track down the person, retreived my stuff and we had a "nice" little talk and made things very clear....that's all i'm saying for the record.

The outcome was positive and he now knows the sportsmans rules, if its not your and not your property, leave it alone!

Two days and counting, I can't get any sleep either, good luck to all and be safe.

mr

Osok,

I totally forgot about this post. Did track down the person, retreived my stuff and we had a "nice" little talk and made things very clear....that's all i'm saying for the record.

The outcome was positive and he now knows the sportsmans rules, if its not your and not your property, leave it alone!

Two days and counting, I can't get any sleep either, good luck to all and be safe.

mr

Did you give them the "what it is to be a man" talk that kids don't get anymore?

Target life. While shooting this year my broadheads started poking out the back of my target at times. I was just pulling them back through, which was cutting up my block even more. So now if they poke through I unscrew the broad head and pull the arrow back out. Its really helped save on the target.

Along the same tip as Bear55. I use goose down form Previous hunts. Ask a friend how bird hunts. Down From Pheasant's or ducks would work as well. I use 35 millimeter camera canisters. Pack as much as the down as you can in it I mean pack it tight. Put the cover on it then use a 1/8 inch drill bit and drill a hole in the top. This will pull some of the down out. That's OK you will have enough down to last you for a year or two. Just pinch a little amount from the hole and you can send it on its way. Even ripping it in the smallest of amount well travel a long way. Makes Great Gifts for the new and young that are just getting started. My son would play with this and watch the down fly along way while rifle hunting in his early years. It is true the wind can make some major changes during the time you sit on a stand. Great for out in the mountains as well while Elk hunting. Good luck to all.

Don't know if this has been mentioned or not. When you shoot at a deer and watch him run away take a picture of the last spot you saw it and also the spot it was standing when you shot. It is still fresh in your mind and its a whole lot easier to pull out the camera take a look at the picture to refresh your memory than it is to climb back up into the stand and try to guess the spots.

and even if you don't take a real picture... take a mental one. replay the whole scene right away, using spatial markers like trees or patches of grass to note the path of the deer, and go over how it acted after being shot

i know i get caught up in the moment and will forget surprisingly large details.

fishingwebguy,

He was old enough for a good old @ss whoopen but not worth jail time since I have a family and not worth it. Just explained to him what I was doing and the true property lines, showed him county plat map etc. If anything he knows his property better now that I proved to him what was his. I had to take the high road because some day I might shoot a deer and it could run onto his property and I just would rather have some one help track a deer than take a deer from me.

thanks,

mr

My tip of the week, its been a wet year, crazy wet in some parts of the state. Whatever you do don't wear knee boats to a hip-boot or wader party. Falling into a swampy muck filled hole is only funny when its the other guy.