• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New siding and roof????

The_King48

My insurance company just told my wife that we get a new roof and new siding on the house and garage.... SWEET!!!!! I was just wondering what I should be looking for... I haven't sen the insurance estimate yet, but I would assume that it has chimney caps and roof vents on it... What else?? I think the house is wrapped with tar paper??? Does insurance cover tyvac? ( However you spell it).... Thanks in advance... Oh ya, are there any advantages over a steel roof vs. shingles??? I was thinking about replacing the window also since I am getting new siding...

Anything new?? Yes.

Your insurance adjuster's price is probably wrong. Shingles have gone from $52 a square to $80 a square just this spring and early summer with another price increase at the end of the month. Siding has been close to the same, but not quite the price hike.

The other problem will be getting your money to pay someone to do the work for you. There are too many insurance scams going on out there and the mortgage and insurance companies are catching on (about time!!!). We have jobs that were done 2 months ago that we have not gotten paid on. I have heard of bigger contractors closing up because they are broke. This is because they spent all of their money buying materials and are waiting on checks. Some are hundreds of thousands of dollars out. It's tough out there, and it's only getting worse with people putting insurance money in their pocket. Mortgage companies are now keeping track of where the money goes, along with the IRS.

There are over 3,000 homes hit in one area where we are working. I doubt if 500 have been done.

Add to that......the building officials are finally cracking down on shotty work. I have heard of one that shut down 10 jobs in one week because shingles were nailed improperly.

Another new thing is people taking the checks and ditching the house. Letting it go back to the bank, and now the bank has to fix the house. It's a real mess with people trying to be creative.

So, that's what is new right now.

To answer you, yes the insurance company pays for house wrap, chimney covers, valleys, vents, roof edge (maybe). Make sure you get everything new. There are defiant people out there....both contractors and homeowners.

To be honest I sometimes wish we never had all this work because the locals barely get 10% of it. Alot of spaniards around right now, and that's not good IMO.

My ins quote was b4 the price increase. My contractor said that the roofing materials went up $900.00 since the quote. Siding is not as bad. I got ahold of my ins. and said this is a new quote not the final bill. don't send any more money till it's done. The check was made out to me and the bank (good Thing) it went into escrow and I got 1/3 to start (my choice) could of had more then 1/3 when work is started close to 1/2 done and final when completed. I got screwed over by a contractor crook in 97 and am taking a different approach this time around

I have done warranty work for "out of towners". It was actually for a homeowner who hired the wrong people. They did right by footing the bill. It was $1200 to replace the ridge vent they put on because it was letting batts in their attic.