• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Which Locator?

Fishin Dan

Question

I just recently bought a new boat but need to put a locator on the front and the counsol. The front isnt as much of a priority as the one on the counsol. I would like one with color and a gps. I figure i could afford about 700 at most. So i was wondering which locator you guys would recomend? I was leaning towards Lowrance. Any thoughts or opinions on the Lowrances? Thanks for any help

12 answers to this question

Fishin Dan,

Do a search in the Muskie Forum, saw you in there today (cool!) on Lowrance and you'll find a post about some of the issues that new Lowrance models have been experiencing. It'll be good info to check into before making a purchase.

lowrances have some bugs in the units with the internal antenna if you stay away from those units you are good to go. what you wanna look at is how mush power the unit is transmitting I use a x135 and it has 4000 watts and I can usually find everything I am looking for with it

good luck on your search

I'll second the notion on the X-135. It is a black & white LCD display (5"), but it works real well and gives good detail. I also have a color (5" display as well) LMS-332c... this thing has been nothing but trouble lately. I'm on my third one now just this year... hopefully this one will work. At least the customer service over at Lowrance has been treating me well during this ordeal... they got at least that much going for them.

-Gregg B.

A salesman at the big C told me there have been a few problems with the 27's too. I have had problems with my 3 yr old 334, but hopefully it has been resolved. Has worked flawlessly all summer. Supposedly the 520's replaced the 334's and all their quirks. I like the Lowrances screen better, but know very little else about the 'birds.

I have been running the 525C dual freq, with the external ant for over a year now and no problems. The color is great, the Lake chip in there with awsome structure. The GPS has worked flawlessly. It has dual frequency so you can even watch your down rigger balls if you use those. It has everthing I need. And you would still have enough left over to by the new '08 chip.

Fishin Dan - if you want to get in touch with me I can give you some options that will keep you around your $700 mark, even for both units. Send me an email at [email protected] and we can go through it in more detail.

The Lowrance 520c (external antenna) or Lowrance 522c (internal antenna) that have been mentioned already are great units. And there's a $50 rebate from Lowrance on these that goes until the end of August.

Another option that will probbly get you everything you're looking for and save you some money is going with Eagle units. I think they're a great value, and they have the advantage of being able to use LakeMaster or Navionics map chips.

Humminbird is another option we can talk about too, they're good units but you can't use LakeMaster with them which is a major drawback for some people.

Let me know if I can help. Thanks.