Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
GRAND DAD

Crank baits

Am hoping some of you could help me. Am getting ready to buy some stuff. First I have to buy some rods I have found the reels am going to buy there are Diawa and have the line counter's on them, am going to run leadcore. The lakes I will be targeting eyes in are LOW, Battle, Ottertail, and Millelacs.My questions are what Rod size should I go with,and how much mono should be attached to the end of the lead core and how do you attatch the two. Last and the most important what kind of baits should I buy Color and size? Thanks for any info you can help me with.

If you haven't bought the reels yet make sure to get the 47LC it will hold 10 colors. I have used 7 colors on LOW. Cabelas has some nice trolling rods for $50. I bought the 9' planerboard rods that seem to work nicely with or w/o boards.

Many different thoughts on leader. I use 30' 10/4 fireline crystal. Fireline holds up in well incase of northerns or gill plts. You also can add 5' to the depth(just like 1 more color) pulling jntd #5 or SR#7).Just be sure to reel in slow & steady to not pull hooks out. To connect line to leadcore I slide back outside of line and remove 6" of lead. I then tie a simple overhand knot on the end of leadcore then tie a trilene knot in leader and slide down to overhand knot. Others will use a small swivel but I feel the swivel can damage the guides. I have caught walleyes to 13+# and northerns to 44" and have not had leader to leadcore break.

Plugs?? I the last time I counted I was at 83 and I have added since then. My go to plugs #5 jointed shad rap in orange crawdad or hot perch(cabelas exclusive). #7 shad rap & minnow raps in purpledescent, hot perch. Purple plugs work real well on Mille Lacs and LOW. If they made a purple jntd shad rap I would buy plenty. I've used way more than those but they are the plugs I usually start with.

I'm sure others will chime in with other personal perferences and I am looking forward to expand my knowledge.

I'd consider 2 (or 3) 27's vs one 47. That ways you could "segment" the leadcore with mono or fireline. Putting mono / fireline behind leadcore (5,3,2 colors) makes using boards possible. This arangement would cover most applications and give alot of veratility, esp. when using boards. Not so important, I guess, if "straight" trolling. Attaching lead directly to planer boards is very difficult and not generally recommended.

I run 47's loaded with 10 colors on my leadcore setups. I am using a couple of the 9ft. board rods but have yet to find a long leadcore rod I like. The 6'6" cabelas leadcore rods are pretty decent for the money.

I was using longer leaders with the line slipped into the sleeve and knotted but found I could get away with a barrel swivel and shorter leader in the waters I fish. It helps tremendously with tangles due to line twist.

As for cranks I run a little of everything.

mw

Attaching lead directly to planer boards is very difficult and not generally recommended.

What boards & clips do you use and what problems do you have putting them on the leadcore? I have had the same leadcore on for 2 yrs now and haven't noticed any damage. I use offshore boards with red clips.

I was using longer leaders with the line slipped into the sleeve and knotted but found I could get away with a barrel swivel and shorter leader in the waters I fish. It helps tremendously with tangles due to line twist.

mw

Mike

Do you keep the leader short enough as to not reel the swivel in the guides? I fish leadcore mostly on Mille Lacs have you noticed any difference in production on Mille Lacs with the shorter leader?

I agree the 9' rods aren't very sensitive but for $50 what can you expect.

I use Off-Shore planer boards with OR-18 rings now. I've never actually tried attaching lead to the board, simply because I believed what I read and who I talked to before trying both. I read, and was told by guys that use both alot, that anything over 3 colors with start to pull the boards down, when lead is the only thing being used (clipped to board and run back to rod/reel.) Made sense, unless the boards weren't being run that far off the side. Seems like alot of weight to be carried over waves, unless the boards aren't let out that far. I'd think you'd be able to run farther out with "segmented" lead that straight lead. I can't speak from experience thought. Never done it. Glad to hear it's working for you. Sure would be alot cheaper.

I run my leadcore on LC 27's, I can (barely) get 7 colors on there which is enough for the fishing I do.

For the question about cranks, specific cranks and colors are dependent on where you're fishing ...... but with leadcore I usually go with small shad baits or stick baits ..... baits you couldn't run that deep without some weight. I like glass shad raps, #5 regular raps, jointed shad raps, frenzy shads, etc.

I use the same rods for boards and leadcore, the ones I have are 7.5 to 8.5 feet long and work fine.

I use either mono or flouro leaders on my leadcore. At times I've used swivels or the knots you pass through the sleeve and glue, but now I mostly use back-to-back uni knots which are quick and simple and work great. I used to start with a 20 foot leader, but on Mille Lacs lately I've been running 40-50 foot leaders behind my lead. Seems very long but seems to get me more bites.

I've used up to 5 colors behind the board without any problem. I usually run 3 colors in front of the board, you do need a long rod tipped up as high as possible however to keep the leadcore out of the water. 9' rods seem to do the trick. Although I will admit your arms sure get tired reeling in all of that line even without a fish on. frown

I use either mono or flouro leaders on my leadcore.
What # test & brand of fluro do you use? Do you have much trouble with break offs? I've been thinking of switching to fluro leaders to see if it makes any difference.

I've never had a break-off.

I use 10 lb line ---- if mono, low vis green and 10 lb because that's what Precision Trolling based on ----- if flouro, 10 lb just to keep it consistent. The flouro I've been using is either Vanish, P-Line, or the Cabelas brand leader material. Haven't really noticed any differences in the flouro for leaders for trolling cranks.