• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

1984 k5 Blazer not idiling

I about another plow truck for my cross country ski trail parking lot. The truck it's self is in GREAT shape, it has a 302 4 speed and 90,000 miles. It starts right up and idols fine as long as I dont touch the gas pedal, as soon as I touch the gas pedal you need to feather it for about 5 minutes to keep it running, after that it idols like [PoorWordUsage]. I have replaced all plugs, cap and rotor. Where do I look next? I am assuming the carb might be gummed up but not sure if I should go there next. I am looking for steps on what to try first.

Thanks,

Its likely the carburetor. If it is ok after it is fully warmed up, it could be the choke pull off is opening the choke too much too soon. That can be a simple adjustment. Otherwise, as 4wandering said it could be an accellerator pump that has dried up from sitting around. That would then require replacing.

I am by no means anywhere close to being knowledgeable about carbs (not enough wires for this guy grin) but I like the choke theory! I'd start by pulling off the air cleaner assembly, start it, and watch what it does when it idles fine then crack the throtlle by hand and see what its doing differently.

Guess's only at this point, but high idle circuit in the carb or choke issues?

I would think some seafoam threw the gas tank, like Air said remove the air cleaner and while doing this clean the inside and outside of the carb with a can or two of carb clean. Run the tank threw (does not need to be a full tank, possibly better to run the seafoam threw with a half tank or less).

That would be my easy approach at this point.

Hard approach would be to remove the carb., buy an O/H/ kit and book and rebuiid the bugger. grin

Good luck!

Those carbs had a accelator pump that gave the throat of the carb a squirt of gas, this jumped the rpm up till the venturi could catch up with fuel thru the v. tube. your acc. pump is probley dryed out and use less. Or the main jet is gummed up. If either is the cause tear down is the easiest.

Man I wish I could tear down a carb like I can disect a laptop or desktop. You guys make it sound so simple....

I think I got a decent deal though on this blazer, I got it for $500 with a western plow...