• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

My wife did a dumb thing...

CALVINIST

Question

22 answers to this question

I've never had a problem doing this. In fact, I usually figure it'll do the engine some good to get a little extra lube. Unless the oil:gas ratio was really high I would think this shouldn't bother it.

Try a new spark plug. Of course you could do like I would do and just clean the one that's in there and recheck the gap. Add a little more gasoline to the fuel or drain it and blend it with more gas to dilute it some more.

Bob

Usually the other combination causes concern and damage. Straight gas in a 2 cycle engine. Empty out the 2 cycle gas, check the spark plug maybe check and clean the air filter if it's been flooded. It'll smoke a bit when you get it going.

It's probably just a fouled plug.

Get the mixed gas out of the tank, then fill it with fresh gas.

Pull the spark plug and clean it with a wire brush.

The mower should start, run it for a few minutes to clear the mixed gas from the line.

After it cools down pull the plug again and clean it or replace it with a new plug set at the corect gap.

Believe it or not...

A month ago I helped a friend get a boat running that hadn't ran in over 3 years. He had 6 gallons of 50:1 pre-mix (stabilized back then) left in a tank and I couldn't just let it go being gas was $4/gallon. This pre-mix went into my mower for fun (it's an old junk mower) and it runs perfect. I still had a 1/2 tank and mowed 2 nights ago, still fine...

I'd say replace the spark plug.

Believe it or not...

A month ago I helped a friend get a boat running that hadn't ran in over 3 years. He had 6 gallons of 50:1 pre-mix (stabilized back then) left in a tank and I couldn't just let it go being gas was $4/gallon. This pre-mix went into my mower for fun (it's an old junk mower) and it runs perfect. I still had a 1/2 tank and mowed 2 nights ago, still fine...

And no bugs either. wink

I had a problem last night with our mower not starting. Start with the simple stuff, mine wound up being the spark plug wire was not fully seated. You could also give it a little prime with fresh gas.

Once my kids accidentally put keroseen in the mower. It was belching smoke all over the place before they asked me to take a look at it.

All I did was empty it out and refilled no problem. I have also had 2 cycle mixture in a mower before but just emptied it and refilled with regular. No problem

I have 2 x wives. Neither of them knew how to put gas in a car. Buy her her own new lawn mower and a gas can with her name on it. You keep the can full with the right gas. (If you don't want to spring for the new mower just get the gas can with her name on it, change the plug and remove and clean the air filter). smile

I have 2 x wives. Neither of them knew how to put gas in a car. Buy her her own new lawn mower and a gas can with her name on it. You keep the can full with the right gas. (If you don't want to spring for the new mower just get the gas can with her name on it, change the plug and remove and clean the air filter). smile

With two x wives I'm surprised you have enough money to even fill a gas can, much less buy a mower. Wonder what would happen if you cut your own grass? Might be cheaper than going for #3!!!

You misunderstood. I was replying to the original poster. I always cut my own grass. I could not fathom that a wife would even think about mowing a lawn. Like I said mine would not even put gas in a car. Now that I am in the poor house my grass is cut for me. The x's got the mowers. My tip is that if she will cut it, make easier for her. Get her a new mower and her own labled gas can and keep it full. If she puts the wrong gas in a chain saw I may make a play for her.

She put gas/oil mix in our lawnmower that is supposed to take straight gas and now it won't start. Is it doomed? Or is there a way to get it going again without incurring too much expense?

My wife did the opposite one time about 5 years ago. She put unleaded in a Lawnboy mower with the 2-cycle engine. The mower seized up but after it cooled down (and I cooled down) I put in some new gas (w/oil mixed) and after a couple of hard pulls it started right up.

I still use this mower today. It does not run as smooth as it once did but it still works fine.