Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
chasineyes

National Night Out?

19 posts in this topic

So did everyone participate in some hand-holding and singing last night? We didn't. Honestly my family and I are out darn near every night until 8:00 unless its bath night. My new neighbors moved in 3 months ago and I have yet to meet his wife and I have seen him 2 times. In 3 years I never met/seen the couple across the street with 2 little (5,2) kids. Is it just me or do people simply not go outside anymore...unless there is a reason??????

We have neighbors that are out and friendly and those that won't even say hi back if you say hi. I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

We had about 250 people down at the park in my town. The Fire Department cooked brats and weiners, and the city council provided other stuff. It was nice to see some more people for no apparent reason.

chasineyes--- I agree with you, my wife and I moved into our house 4 years ago and I swore that first year the area was full of witness protection people, because if people did go outside it was so quick had no time to say hi. We have met a few neighbors, but for the most part I think many people stick to their own, not like when I grew up and kids were everywhere and the parents knew all of the parents too, but then again I have to say I haven't made the best effort to get to know them either, so it is what is

I feel pretty fortunate around here. Our neighbors still cling to many of the old farming traditions like sharing the harvest, stopping in just to say hi, and enjoy a cup of coffee on occasion, etc.

Bob

I feel pretty fortunate around here. Our neighbors still cling to many of the old farming traditions like sharing the harvest, stopping in just to say hi, and enjoy a cup of coffee on occasion, etc.

Bob

Same around here,But it seems as on a lake, as the older folks turn the cabin (or now lake home)over to children or sell to the younger generation,their more closed,Could it be all the fears from the media being so far and wide.

Here we've had out of 21 original owners on our road 14 are new within the last 5-7 years.Al original knew eachother by name and stopped by to chat,visit.Now no names,chating,visits just a empty wave from strangers.We have stopped and talked,but its like we were intruding.

A section of our neighborhood had a little get together and my wife and I stopped by for a bit with the dog. There wasn't too many people and most of the neighbors around us are fairly old....but we stop by to say hi. Would be nice to have some younger neighbors to relate to!

They block off the road in front of our house and the fire dept and a few LEO's show up to talk with people. I got two or three free gun locks from them so that was cool I guess.

Nothing as far as I saw in our neighborhood last night.

I am all for talking to my neighbors, helping out if I see them in trouble, waving and being nice. I how ever do not want to get caught up in any clicks or grouping that goes on in city neighborhoods and surrounding burbs.

I have herd horror stories about people not even wanting to go out in their front yards because of the neighborhood chitter chatter, clicks and other bizarre occurrences. People have even moved because of these type of occurrences going on. That ain't me at all.

I live far enough out and I have some acreage. I pretty much have to go to the road to see the full neighborhood and that is the reason why I purchased out this way. I lived in town right out of high school and unfortunately had some crazy, crazy neighbors I wished I only had waved to, instead of inviting them over for a drink. Pretty much spoiled me on getting to know my neighbors.

Hence the term " Tall fences make for great neighbors" grin

We have a busy-body in our neighborhood that planned out a block party. We all lived their a year or so and at the time I figured “why not”. It got to be a couple days before hand and I talked with this person hosting the event. This person was listing off who was coming and I asked about this one family that had moved in a couple months back. I knew a member of this family slightly from high school and I thought they where ok people. The host of this first annual block party told me right to my face, “I do not think they would fit in and they are not invited”. Needless to say, I did not attend the restricted “block party” and really just shied away from any other contact other than the wave and smile since.

shackbash, sounds like your neighborhood needs some group therapy! I've never seen anything like that.

In my old St. Paul haunts, the last year we lived there we had a nice gathering of folks, blocked off the street, etc. & saw a number of people I hadn't seen in 10 years. It was a good gathering, although the drug dealer & juvenile delinquents were invited & showed up - so it didn't exactly help anything. smile

We have the same in our current house. Some fantastic people & some who won't talk to you, as well as some recluses. As someone else said, it takes all types!

I live in a sort of neighboor hood where people are nice enough but don't go out of their way to be any more then social. I have lived there for 5 years and I don't even know all my neighbors and I am not that type of person. People get more and more secluded and are not willing to reach out because you never know who your neighbor is or what they do. Not that I agree with that but that is my opinion.

I was out for a little while last night, but there wasn't an "organized" thing for last night. Being I live in an apartment, there's usually a few nights a week that are "neighbor get thgethers." That is pending the mentaly imbalanced that live there decide to drink. I'm not poking fun at anyone, but there are a few in the complex that are diagnosed parinoid scytzophrenic (SIC) and they like to drink to get rid of the voices. Only they come outside and ruin everyone's night.

Before anyone gets on my case, I, along with everyone that lives in the complex, cut them as much slack as we can. They're decent people when they're sober and on their medications. But, as soon as they start drinking (which is daily at 6 a.m.) they start harassing everyone. They know that they can, and will ruin a perfectly good BBQ, bonfire, or get together, and they have absoluetly no problem doing it.

Quote:
People get more and more secluded and are not willing to reach out because you never know who your neighbor is or what they do.

The worst part about this is that it is self-feeding. People get more secluded and because of this they never know each other.

Bob

Buddha what part of Shak you in? (Were probably neighbors but I'm too stuck up to talk to ya:) Seriously though I would rather have older neighbors than young wanna-be families. It seem like I can talk with older people much easier than younger, and I'm only 35. Also I know of 2 people in my development that have boats, and one guy that has some wheelers, otherwise I now know why they work on their lawns...it's all they have!! The wife and I are seriously looking to move north (Elk River area)to find some acreage and have some "fun, family" time.

chasineyes,

I am close to the Golds Gym and by the Middle School/Secnic Heights Park.

I figure that criminals would think it would be a good time to rob the neighbors houses since they were out at the block party. So my wife and I stayed home to guard the fort.

Wow, I feel pretty fortunate up near anoka. Our section of the neighborhood gets along quite well. Always helping each other on projects, drinking each other beers. If someone is out of town we will usually mow their grass or shovel their driveway. I think we try to make an effort to "train" the new neighbors to act as we do.........."heres a beer"

Moe, ditto on that. We watch out for each other here in the great South Metro.

Unless you have stinkbugs for neighbors, you get out what you put in.

I made it out and chatted with a few folks. Trouble was, the ones you know and chat with daily or weekly, have a beer with, etc. are the ones that are attending the event. The people you feel you'd like to get to know or reach out to stay at home.

Fire department and police came out, everyone brought some food. Meet another hunting and fishing diehard behind our alley so it was a good night for me.