• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Truck guy needs car to buy advice!!!!

Well guys, my wife finally broke down. She tells me she wants to get rid of her Sub. She says the Burb cost too much for her to drive and she has her eye on a sporty type car we saw a distant cousin have at a family rebellion last week. It was a Mazda 3 hatch style car. Gets 25/30 mpg, our relatives said it actually gets better in town than on the highway, not by much, but that's what they said.

Give me your suggestions, honest opinions, we figure the money we can save on mileage, and insurance costs will make part of the payment up. The other we are ready to accept, I do not want to spend more than 20k out of pocket though, so do your guesstament there too. Our Chevy Sub is a 97, with 140k on it. a couple minor dings, with leather interior in pretty good condition. I did replace the tranny at 112k. All miles are from our family, not that it matters on a vehicle this old, but, we put them all on it if that makes a sale look better, which I like. Give the thougts on the Mazda 3 5-door and suggest something else if you want, I am open to anything, but want to be practicle, I have 2 daughters as well who are 11 and 6 1/2 who will ride on this. I eagerly await some suggestions.

I like the mazdas. Brother just picked up a brand new Mazda 6 that was loaded minus leather for right around 16000 for his wife-she loves it. The 6 is a little bigger but not by much. They got the 4cyl and she says it has plenty of zoom zoom.

airjer, I am more than happy to pay people to do that. I don't own wrenches, there are folks like you who are smart and educated to do this sort of thing, THANK YOU, how much do I owe you..... When you need something sold, call me, I work in advertising and marketing. My mouth makes me money, surely not my hands!!!!

Mazda is fine and there are a bunch of others too. You might want to ask your insurance agent what model's are easy on the insurance rate and then take a look at resale value. As for trade in, your Suburban isn't worth much maybe 2-3K

My wife drives an 03' Mazda Protege 5 (hatchback) and I think it's great. It gets good mileage and has a decent amount of room. I do all of the basic maiintenance and it has been trouble free for us over 70k. Her mom has the same car and has not had any issues either (they have 140k).

We can fit a large kennel in the back for the dog.....but it will be interesting when we get our second pup in a few weeks.

Decent little cars I say, and good to have to drive around instead of driving my 3/4 diesel all over town!

Mazda makes a fine vehicle. I do not know much about the later models, but in a strange way you are supporting Ford by purchasing a Mazda.

As for the Burb, I would sell it out right instead of trading in. You can always check on trade in value, but I would not get caught up in the purchase and just give it away. I like carsoup as a market price checker. You can get an idea of what they are going for and see what priced units are moving (watch them be sold). You can watch Clist, but there is not a charge for this service, so the prices can be all over the page.

Then when the time comes, post it for sale on FM.

Good luck!

I've been driving a 2002 mazda protoge as a commuting car for quite some time. It's not a mazda 3 but the precursor. I've got 178k on it. Only thing I've had to do is change the oil, brakes, coolant, and I did the timing belt/water pump as routine maintenance. Oh, and 1 battery that gave up the ghost during one of those nasty -20 winter days. Overall a very good car.

The Mazda 3 usually wins the small car comparo's in the auto mag's. They are pretty nice and are sporty but not harsh. People seem to like them and I haven't heard about any major issues with them.

And yes its a subsidary of Ford. Don't know if that's good or bad, depends on how you look at it these days!!

I will throw a few ideas out there for you. Give you ideas to look around on the internet if nothing else!

I'd check out a pontiac vibe/toyota corolla hatch/wagon as well (GM & Toyota have an agreement and they are basically the same car). Pretty reliable, good gas mileage, and have that extra space a wagon/hatch gives you.

I'd say a Subaru Imprezza, they are more expensive, but you can get all wheel drive for those minnesota winters and they are pretty sporty.

Maybe a Honda civic hatch? Not sure if they make them anymore.

Maybe a VW jetta wagon? Probably a little more than you want to spend, but great interiors and are a little sporty.

Not a ton of hatch/wagons anymore. I don't think there is a Ford Focus wagon anymore, but I could be wrong. Don't think they make a Chevy cobalt wagon. Not sure what Nissan makes that size.

Well, I am out of ideas, hope that helps! Good Luck!

CJH

I would stay with some made on our ground easier to fix and the labor is usually cheaper to. would have to say the taurus has been around for a while and there is a reason. you can run em to the ground!

My wife has a 99 mazda protege with 145K on it with no major problems. Its an alright car if you dont have to ride in or drive it! I think it drives and rides horrible! Its like riding in a Mack truck with rubber suspension! Ive always said it feels like you are on the verge of spinging out of control at any second! I cant even ride in the passenger seat for more than a couple miles or I get motion sick! That is the only place I have ever been motion sick in my whole life. I prefer a larger car like a Grand Prix or Bonneville, I feel the couple MPGs you give up is well worth it to drive a real car.

How about the new Ford Taurus or whatever they are, the old Ford 500? Found one of those that are nice as well. I think we are down to the 07 Mazda 3 hatch, the 07 Mazda 6 or the 07 Ford Taurus SEL. All seem to get about the same mileage but the Ford is way roomier, is roomier even a word?

My brother has a Mazda6 and is impressed with it which I believe also shares the platform with the Ford Fusion. (I test drove one of those and they are a great car!) Anyway, as for the new Taurus.....my folks have a Freestyle (which has now been named a Taurus X) and if they are anything like the Taurus, I'd really give them a look. It's a bit of a different car to drive as the transmission isn't like a typical transmission. I don't know all the technical "jargon" on it, but it doesn't have any shift points. Hop on the interstate and push the pedal down and it just keeps increasing speed with no "jerk". Excellent handling vehicle in the winter, great gas mileage, and plenty of room and power. Plus, it's one of the few cars that you can get with adjustable pedals. This was a sales point for my mother as she is 4' 11" and any car she drove she sat right on top of the airbag which can be deadly.

When they don't travel with the 5th wheel and pickup, this is their vehicle of choice and my father (who loves his truck) actually enjoys riding in it as he sits more upright like a pickup.

Steve

It's a bit of a different car to drive as the transmission isn't like a typical transmission. I don't know all the technical "jargon" on it, but it doesn't have any shift points.

CVT transmission - continuously variable transmission

It is not available in the new Taurus X