Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fishhappy1986

Duck hunting around Remer ,Outing

11 posts in this topic

have hunted just one weekend in the Hill City area (2 seasons back) and was surprised at the lack of birds. I was up there 2nd weekend and there was very little around. Ended up getting a few blue wingers, a bluebill, and my first ruddy duck but spent more time chasing the grouse because the ducks were quite scarce. I'm sure it can get good if you time it right though. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I'm pretty familiar with the area, but have never duck hunted it, we usually head west rather then north, but a guy i know used to duck hunt up on laurel lake near trilibe and said he had pretty good luck there in the past

The duck hunting used too be great. Laura acually had pretty good shooting a couple of years ago. My grandparents live in outing off of highway 48. we do most of our duck hunting 10 min. from their place. past years like most people would say have not been so good. But last year we did notice more divers than usual, later in the season of course. weekAfter deer opener we got and saw my first ever canvasbacks we got two beutiful drakes but sad to say when they lock up their wings they sail for miles which happened to the one I winged. That next morning we had a flock of four sit down 20 yards outside the dekes. Man are they a sweet duck.

yes they are! too bad the USFWS botched it bigtime this year and decided to abandon all logic and reason...no season on cans, just one year after they were at record highs. Figure that one out ???

yes they are! too bad the USFWS botched it bigtime this year and decided to abandon all logic and reason...no season on cans, just one year after they were at record highs. Figure that one out ???

Yeah, at least it's nationwide. Nothing ticks me off more than the season and bag discrepancies between northern and southern states, and Minnesota and other northern states.

*From the USFWS "Potential changes to canvasback closed season frequency due to introducing

a liberal, 2-bird bag season" by Emily Silverman, Division of Migratory Bird Management

Canvasback harvest-management strategy

The Canvasback Harvest Strategy was adopted by the Service in 1994. The Strategy

allows a full season (i.e., season length set by the mid-continent mallard AHM model)

with a 1-bird bag, if the predicted canvasback population for the following spring exceeds

500,000. A restricted season-within-a-season (SWS) with a 1-bird bag is allowed, if the

predicted number of canvasbacks does not exceed 500,000 for the AHM-determined

season length, but does exceed 500,000 for a restricted season. The canvasback season is

closed, if the predicted canvasback population size is less than 500,000 for a restricted

season or if the mallard season is closed.

Your point about last year's record high numbers of cans makes this year's harvest moratorium all the more disappointing. Lots of variation in year to year numbers apparently.

Anyone that hunted in the outing area up until about the last 5 - 8 years had some of the best duck hunting in the state hands down. Unfortunately it has gone from first to worst in a big hurry. Many including myself cite the low water levels, lack of wild rice, very late northern flights and big trematode kills on winnie as part of the problem. Hopefully some day things will get better.

I'm sure hoping so. It's fun either way but makes it tough to get up before the crack of dawn to shoot 3 birds between three people. But thats hunting, and I love it.

the woodies are always around if you like puddle jumping early season. We've acually done pretty well the past few years, changed a couple strategies and moved off the big lakes to a small pothole and had great results on opener and the week after but thats bout as long as the woodies will stick around

Have duck hunted up there for the past 15 years or so, Big Rice can be good and Laura can be good and some of the back woods beaver ponds but its all about being at the right time and the right place. Opening wknds normally good and I can't tell you how many times I've been sitting in my deer stand early early in the AM and listened to them whistle over my head. As for quantity though I'd definately tell you to go west or south or north.

I've a little bit south of there around Crosby quite a few times. The early season is so so. Theres better areas of the state to hunt early season. Right around deer hunting it can be very good. But so can half the areas in the State around deer hunting.