• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Mornning front end shimmy????

2002 Pontiac Grand Am with 137,000 miles. In the morning, after the car has sat overnight or longer it feels like there is a vibration in the front somewhere for about 1-2 miles then it settles down. This will be on the highway at highway speeds. Drive it the rest of the day and its smooth as can be. Don't quite understand why as it can sit at the office from 8-6 without moving and it won't do it when I go home...but next morning it will again. Any ideas?

Lawdog,

Inspect the tires (all four) for wear/chopping or flat spots. A cold tire will show more signs than a warm tire. Tires are cool when let sit for a period of time and warm up under use. If you can, rotate the tires and if this changes things. I would start with the tires first and work my way to the front end if needed.

Yep, flat spots on the tires. Both our new Honda CR-V and my F250 that are parked on the cement (cool) slab overnight or longer will gives a shimmy the first 5 miles or so. It was a concern of ours also especially on the new vehicle..

The cars parked on gravel or hot pavement....no problem.

I had a set of Continental tires on my old truck. They shook so bad in the mornings you would think the front end was coming apart. Threw em out after about 20,000 miles and replaced em with Michelins. Never looked back.