Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
picksbigwagon

Trout fishing in NE IA

Got back on Sunday from a trip to NE IA for some trout fishing, golfing and my 20th class reunion.

One of the guys suggested we canoe on the Yellow river and stay at the Scenic Valley campground just downstream from Volney. That allowed us to paddle two upper sections of a non designated trout stream, which has a healthy population of trout and small mouth.

First day we did the upper section and I believe I caught one brown trout, all day. My feeling at the end of that 6 mile paddle was not good. I had always felt I could go out with some black rooster tails and always, and I mean ALWAYS catch a couple trout for dinner. Humbling to say the least.

The Second day we fished the lower section finishing to the campground. I must have put something in those venison burgers the night before because I caught at least 15 trout that afternoon, before my rod broke. I came back to camp, king of the trout gods that day. The biggest was a rainbow over 3 pounds and all of 22" if not more.

This was a non designated trout stream which means the state doesn't stock it on this upper end of the river, but there are a number of trout streams that run into it.

The campground was great, the bathroom and showers were the best I had ever seen in a campground, either state or private.

3 guys in a canoe, I am in the back, we are sitting a little low.

canoeride.jpg

22" rainbow, well over 3#'s. I am 6'7" so my size overshadows the trout's size

3-1.jpg

next year we will skip the upper section and divide the lower section into two parts and work a lot harder (leeches and slip bobbers) at seeing what is some of the pools. (i.e. smallmouth and probably walleyes as well)

That looks like a nice place! Is there stream camping? or restricted to campgrounds? Tell me a little more about area,camping,parking etc. THANKS

The campground runs along the river for at least a quarter mile. There are electric and water hookups at all 32 stream side campsites. I have a brochure somewhere, when I find it, I will answer what I can.

Okay found the brochure. THey have primative sites (3 I believe) and the rest are electric and water hook up sites. They have rental units for 65 bucks a night, and 60 campsites. the basic site is 15 bucks a night, water and electric are 18, water electric and sewer is 20 bucks. Pull your trailer down for the season for $850......

The name of the campground is Scenic Valley Campground. Nearest town for reference is Waterville Iowa. Do a search for their HSOforum if you care to.......

Thanks picks!

Can you imagine me tellin folks I'm going to Iowa for a weeks fishin vacation,and not for bullheads.

i used to spend my spring break at big paint campground in the yellow river state forest. i love that whole area. last time i was there, we had tornado warnings while we were tenting.