• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Off hand shooting?

Lazy Mike

I have been told by my elk outfitter that I should practice off-hand shooting at about 100yds for an upcoming Idaho elk hunt. Does anyone know where a good place is to shoot like this in Mpls/St Paul area?

Thanks, Mike

I don't know where a place to shoot is but he is right, you have a 5x5 stainding 20 yrs from you lookin you square in the eye if you move he's gone! the only thing you can do is,#1 do not look him in the eye, raise slowly, this is where off hand comes from. I missed mine, he looked at me for over 10 minutes b4 he moved a little where I could shoot OFF HAND! Heart Pumpin, sweat drippin,eyes waterin, shakin like Muhammed Ali! Not that this will happen to you lol

You can start looking in the phone book for public ranges, but most of those are 20 miles + outside the loop (494/694). Not that it isn't worth travelling that far to make sure you can take the shot of a lifetime.

I don't know your location, but Beaver Brook on Hwy 65 near Ham Lake will fill the bill.

Otherwise, I beleive, the few ranges in closer are clubs that may require a membership to shoot at. I've shot in Oakdale also.

O.K., I see you're in Centerville. Beaver Brook shouldn't be too far then.

BTW, where have you been shooting so far?

I had a buddy that went out west and his outfitter told him the same thing, only thing was he didn't practice and like machohorn, he missed at about 35 yds having to shoot off-hand. I would suggest from his exp. that if you need to travel a bit (1hr.) you should do it just in case.