• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with Cuddyer?

bassislife

Gomez has struck out like 106 times already. Use him as a utility OF/ runner. He will be decent a couple years from now.

Yes, he's gonna be very, very good a couple years from now. But not if you don't play him now. He's not gonna get better sitting on the bench.

You've gotta go through the growing pains...

Originally Posted By: The J-Man!
Originally Posted By: RussC
He should be on the bench.

Yes Gomez should be on the bench.

Why? When they put Gomez in the outfield at the beginning of the season they knew he was raw and would take time to learn, and now that we're doing better than everyone expected we should bench him? Let him play, it's the best way to learn.

He should be learning in AAA, that is what minor leagues are for. He should have started the year there, but the front office wanted to show us "fans" what we got for Johan Santana.

Cuddyer is an avg. player. He gets talked about like hes an all-star or something. I guess everyone forgets how many times he's struck out in the clutch.

Cuddyer is a fine player. He has proven to be a good right handed hitter who has a little power. His defense is excellent and his arm strength is superb. He is no all-star I'll give you that, but he deserves to start once he is completely healthy.

Exactly how many times did he strike out in the "clutch"? I remember him getting hits in the "clutch" also. You can't get hits every time.

gomez may have a strong arm, but his aim is terrible for a major leaguer. has he thrown anyone out at the plate this year? Or any other base? The throws I have seen him attempt to home have been at least 5 feet to the right or left of the plate. Now I am not saying bench the guy, but he needs to work on this part of his game a lot. Yes he needs to work on his hitting, but he has shown signs of a good hitter. I think they should keep him at the end of the lineup, so he keeps seeing major league stuff.

Originally Posted By: SledNeck
Cuddyer is an avg. player. He gets talked about like hes an all-star or something. I guess everyone forgets how many times he's struck out in the clutch.

Cuddyer is a fine player. He has proven to be a good right handed hitter who has a little power. His defense is excellent and his arm strength is superb. He is no all-star I'll give you that, but he deserves to start once he is completely healthy.

Exactly how many times did he strike out in the "clutch"? I remember him getting hits in the "clutch" also. You can't get hits every time.

Cuddyer is avg to below avg fielder with above avg arm. He has a 3" vertical leap, balls bounce on his head, he plays every shallow fly on a HOP, he runs the bases like Kevin McHale, ...but, uh, other than that.........

Like I have said before, Cuddyer is an average player and always will be. You'd have to be blind not to see him strike out in the clutch time after time. Now I'm not saying other players don't strike out either, that would be ridiculous. It's just people talk him up to be some god when he is far from it. I do think though he would be an ok option at third. When he did have some time there he wasn't so bad.

The outfield is much better now than it ever was with Cuddyer anyway so why change it. At least the guys in it now can actually chase down a ball before it falls in for a hit.

Anybody else get sick to their stomach whem Gomez comes to the plate with RISP ,for goodness sakes the bags juiced??? He K'd twice with the bags full agst KC. Plays a good CF,, but my goodness do I ever miss hunter now!!!!

He doesn't seem to maturing at the plate-- that worries me.

He's only 22-I think the jury is still out. Give him a little more time-he may come around. I have not liked the way he has performed at the dish either. Vavra needs to have some sessions of serious BP w/him IMO.

Anybody else get sick to their stomach whem Gomez comes to the plate with RISP ,for goodness sakes the bags juiced??? He K'd twice with the bags full agst KC. Plays a good CF,, but my goodness do I ever miss hunter now!!!!

He doesn't seem to maturing at the plate-- that worries me.

Yeah among many other negatives of Cuddy's latest injury, it would have been nice to see GoGo spend some time on the farm. He is just painful to watch at the plate lately. Two fouled bunt attempts and a home run swing for the third strike. This is not a good approach... and then there's Everett.

I think we need to bring infielder Alejandro Machado up for a look. He is batting .371 and .387 with RISP for the Red Wings.

He's only 22-I think the jury is still out.

On both Young and Gomez. And next year, they'll both be 23. This jury is going to be out until we get well into the 2010 season.

Cuddy's injury means Span gets to keep playing...it is fine to stick with the hot hand. But in four or five weeks, when Span cools off - just like Gomez did, after a similar hot start this year - we'll see people on this board calling for Span to be benched, or sent back to the minors.

gomez was never batting over .300 for a month consecutively, like Span has. Span can probably throw with better aim to home 9 times out of 10 over gomez. Maybe they could shift Span to center and give Kubel more time in right on a regular basis. Gomez is a good player at times, it just seems like he puts too much pressure on himself and tries way too hard. The one thing I don't get with gomez is why he swings for the fences all the time. His job is to get on base, not hit homeruns. Anyway, time to try and sweep those dirty yankees.