• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

What to do with Cuddyer?

bassislife

Where should we stick this guy when he comes back? If the twins mess with the outfield they got now, they are fools. I think that they should stick him at third and see how he does. When he played there years ago he didn't do bad, so why not put him there now?

Span is playing great and they would be fools to send him down, plus he has great range in right field and has a decent arm. We need a third basemen and Cuddyer would be a good option.

I wouldnt complain if he tried a few games at 3rd! If it works out, then he can stay there. I agree I wouldnt mess with what we have either. I dont like the idea of leaving him on the bench either.

put Span in CF and Cuddy in right...bench Gomez......the way we should have started the season in the outfield
I agree.. Cuddy is the RF someone take Gomez and teach him how to throw a baseball. I have yet to see him hit the bag yet. Watch Cuddy and you will see what a strong and Acuurate arm can do. Span is playing pretty good. Although I think they will rotate the OF

Originally Posted By: ozzie
put Span in CF and Cuddy in right...bench Gomez......the way we should have started the season in the outfield

And keep that speed off the bases?

Gomez does a fine job of keeping that speed off the bases all by himself. smile

Rotate the outfield and the DH positiom depending on the pitcher...they all have stats and play the precentages anyway. The season is starting to get in the grind-down stage, and Cuddy will be the fresh guy, plus he is the vet. Don't pressure the guys to preform, most are quite young. I do like Span at lead off, and Gomez is doing ok now that the pressure is off. We haven't had these problems before, isn't it nice!!! smile

Hey, even Lamb has gotten off the early funk that was giving us fits. Get Casilla back and we have a good bench and decent starters that are interchangable.

Put Span in Left, Gomez in Center and Cuddy in Right. Have Delmon as a DH, until Delmon learns how to play the outfield.

Kubel can share left or right or DH.

Did I not see Punto in centerfield last night, in the late innings.

G.C.

I think just let the young guys play. I know we're in a playoff race which makes everyone forget that this is a the start of a new era/rebuilding time. We just got rid of/let go 2 of our best mature players (santana and hunter) and look at what we took for santana, not stuff to make a run with but to get ready for years down the road. Our rotation is doing well, but they are all really young too. And we don't have the greatest bullpen either.

I love the twins (and will gladly take all this back if they prove me wrong) but we're just not built now to do anything playoff/postseason wise. I think we're only kidding ourselves and taking away what can be valuable learning time for our young guys by trying to take the central this year. Even with it being a wide open divison. But those are just my thoughts

Lips hasn't been doing to bad in left as of late. As far as what I have been seeing. I definately was not a fan of his early on, but I am coming around. I am sure Gardy is having a tough time pondering this topic. I do know one thing, Everett is the bomb!!! NOT!!!!!!!!!!

Wheres Slednecks response? I am shocked he hasn't been on here bashing Cuddyer yet. Span is the only current OF'er that has impressed me so far. Gomez and his kicking bunts outside of the batters box and fouling off bunts with 2 strikes is horrible. Delmon Young, I have NEVER seen a MLB OF'er seem so unsure in the OF in my life. He doesn't stride for pop flies- he stutter steps. Maybe if he took strides he wouldn't come up 2 feet shy all the time. So, imo- keep Span, but move him, and put Cuddyer back in right. The Cuddyer at 3rd has been proven unsuccessful, don't try it again.

Originally Posted By: RussC
He should be on the bench.

Yes Gomez should be on the bench.

Why? When they put Gomez in the outfield at the beginning of the season they knew he was raw and would take time to learn, and now that we're doing better than everyone expected we should bench him? Let him play, it's the best way to learn.

And for Delmon, that is .291 this year, and .292 career. And he is only 22 years old.

Now everyone thinks Span is the second coming. He is 138 AB into his major league career. Of course, those who are now calling for Gomez to be benched probably thought he was the second coming when he was just a few weeks into the season, too.

Delmon Young and Carlos Gomez are both going to be very, very good major league players. Yes, Delmon looks good at the plate at times, and at other times (and at times in the field) he looks like...well...like a 22 year old outfielder without a lot of experience. And he is not going to get experience and improve his defense sitting on the bench or DH-ing.

Same with Gomez. Early in the season, we saw how good this guy can be. We can still see flashes of his raw talent every now and then. At times, though, we see...well...a 22 year old trying to adjust to a full season in the major leagues. And he is not going to get better by sitting on the bench.

Cuddyer is an important part of the Twins lineup...with his arm in right field, and his right-handed bat in the middle of the lineup.

Young, Gomez, and Cuddyer need to play. That is your starting outfield. For the rest of this year and the next two years. Young and Gomez need to get their AB's at this level, and need to play OF and learn from their mistakes. Developing 22 year old outfielders at the major league level takes patience. Have some.

As for Span, his numbers will fade the same way Gomez faded after his hot start. Still, Span can be a good player for this team. But he is probably best suited as a fourth outfielder, and pinch hitter/speed off the bench.

But, he can spell each outfielder one day per week, and maybe DH a day here or there and still get his AB's.