Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
machohorn

Bad slice off drive

18 posts in this topic

I have developed a bad slice off my driver, my irons are ok , what am I doing wrong? Some say I am standing too far away but I hate being critiqued on the course. any other guesses?

A slice can be caused by many different things. Do a search for a thread about how to correct your slice. There were a lot of good ideas on how to correct your slice. Some simple things to try are teeing the ball higher. moving the ball more toward the center of your stance, swinging too hard/fast. Like I said it could be caused by a variety of bad habits, but the thread had a lot of good info.

slice? what's a slice?

grip, swing, stance, tee height, club shaft stiffness. any one of these can do it. my biggest culprit was shat stiffness. one day with a rental club, i was hitting strait and long drives all day. the driver was a stiff shaft instead of regular. these days, my slice is more swing related(i think). i can;t seem to stay on plane.

Like others said there is only about a million things that could cause a slice. Three simple tips that worked for me are; narrowing my stance, shorter backswing and slower, smoother swing. I now hit it pretty consistently out to 275 with a slight draw.... Just remember everyone swings different. There is only one Tiger. Find what works for you and keep on swinging..

I was going to post earlier about the shaft of the club being the issue as well. I've found that is my problem and have to compensate by turing my club face in and adjusting my grip on the club.

Last year it was a new club worked great, this year is a struggle, I think a good day at the driving range trying different things to get consistancy is the key, I know there are a 1,000 reasons but 3 or 4 seem to be the standard. wish me luck and FOUR!

I also had a really bad slice. And a slow smooth takeaway will help alot. And dont try to kill the ball just a nice relaxed swing with some force just dont over do it. And you'll hit the ball just fine. I seem to slice [power fade] when i swing hard. but then everyone is different so who knows. Good luck. Another thing is watch the otside in swing.

Take away slow and the key is the direction of your takeaway. If you take away out any little bit, it will cause you to have to pull through to get back on line, therefore the slice. Straight back and straight thru. Don't try to kill the ball. Bad things can happen when your trying to hit it hard.

I would rather be out 250 in the fairway than 275 in the woods or deep rough.

G.C.

Also try keeping your elbow in towards the hip. It will help on the direction of the takeaway.

G.C.

My thoughts, by no means a pro...

Why does it slice? Typically because the club face is wide open when contact is made.

Why is the club face wide open? 2 reasons for me typically.

Number 1 my grip is all wrong, I find that I want the "V's" that my thumb creases create pointing right at my cheeks. Having my grip like this allows me to better pronate (natural wrist rotation) through the ball on contact. Granted the grip is tough to get used to but it is effective.

Number 2 back swing, I find that if my back is as fast as my follow through just about anything can happen when I contact the ball. It takes discipline but I try to make a slow back swing with a real short pause at the top, it is incredible the difference it can make.

RU

I am in the middle of trying to get rid of my slice and it is not fun. I am now standing closer to the ball which feels really awkward, but I am at the right distance (according to my golf pro) I have the problem of the not having the correct swing path, to fast of a backswing, at times too closed of a face as well. Needless to say, when I connect correctly I can send the ball 300 yards straight as arrow, but I can also send it 2 fairways to the right as well.....More of a SEEELLLLLLIICCCCEEEE than just a slice.

Take a lesson or two, it does help......I only get messed up for a couple days now as compared to the beginning of the summer when the lesson would really mess me up. I am seeing the benefits of lessons already.

I was in a tourny this Sat, Thanks for the tips . I tried a few ideas ans actually had straight drives on every hole but 3 not the farthest but straight never less.

Once you figure out how to hit it straight generating a little more power and distance will be a snap.

Keep it in the short grass! grin

I had a bad slice that was corrected by moving up on the ball and closing my stance a bit. Now I'll coming completely through the ball and have actually developed a slight draw. With today's club tech there's no need to swing as hard as you can, after I realized this, it made a big difference as well.

I only get messed up for a couple days now as compared to the beginning of the summer when the lesson would really mess me up. I am seeing the benefits of lessons already.

That's a good point and one that's often lost. Taking lessons shows you the right way to hit the ball and when you start reverting to the old habits that made you slice you have that foundation to correct yourself.

Congrat's on taking lessons, it's the only way to fix a flawed swing.

forget about all the thoughts, just grip it and rip it. and go find the little white ball

Thats what I do. The more I think about my swing the worse it gets. I have above average athleticism with good hand eye coordination and balance so i find that if I just go up stop thinking and let my athleticism take over I strike the ball much better.

I rarely slice any more, usually play with a slight left to right movement with my driver. However I rarely use my driver. Once I stopped being caught up in the big drive and started playing long irons off the tee my score dropped dramatically.

I have spent time working on my long iron game and once you get your 3-4-5 irons to go right down the middle from 210-225 you are golden. Once i was able to do that my scores went down from the 95-100 range to the 85-90 range. If I can get more consistent with my short game I expect being in the low 80's more consistently with maybe the upper 70's on a good day.

All good points. One thing that has not been bought up is do you have any physical problems? knee, hip etc. My slice kept getting worse and worse as my knee got worse and worse. I tried everything and nothing made any difference. I finally had knee reconstruction (2nd time in 25 years) and I have not sliced sense. Chances are this is not your problem but just thought I would throw it out there.